Iconia W510 and Windows 8.1 RTM

Options
Necroman
Necroman Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi, I've tried to install Windows 8.1 RTM x86 en-US from official ISO image from Microsoft on my Iconia W510 (created bootable flash drive), the installation worked, but the problem is lot of drivers is missing/not found after the initial installation.

I've tried to apply the latest driver pack from Acer driver site, that is designed for Windows 8, but after restart the tablet is stuck most likely in infinite GPU driver restart loop, all I can see is black screen and start bar blink every second.

So the question is how to do clean install of Windows 8.1 RTM on Iconia W510? Or should I wait until proper driver pack for Windows 8.1 is released?

Thanks Smiley Happy

Best Answer

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator
    Answer ✓
    Options

I just want to jump in to clarify, Windows 8.1 is not released to the public and we will not post drivers or provide support for the operating system until it is officially released by Microsoft. Drivers and other support material will be located on our support site at http://www.acer.com as they become available after launch.

Answers

• Philman
    Philman Member Posts: 255 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

There is a topic on 8.1 preview.

And read the Microsoft FAQ. You can't uninstall 8.1 but you can make a factory reset (hope you have saved or make a restore point of your W510 before).

But, really, i don't understand why basic users need to install a preview and don't wait for the Acer update...

• Necroman
    Options

Well I'm talking about RTM version I got, not about the Preview version I've been testing so far, and I'm not considering myself as a "basic user", I plan to use this tablet for testing/remote debugging my apps Smiley Happy

• Philman
    Philman Member Posts: 255 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

Sorry sir...

I thought that the 8.1 RTM will be available on October 17th. Sure you're not a basic user.

But for downgrade, RTM or Preview, it must be the same. I think.

• jpearn
    jpearn Member Posts: 29

Tinkerer

Options

You need the latest Z2760 drivers from Station -Drivers which have the updated GFX drivers for 8.1 in there. Aplly this after the Acer one from the website. Or I think if you restart in safe mode, roll back to the standard MS VGA drivers, you can pull the latest ones in through MS Update.

I had the same issue, but I could log out and use shift / Restart to get the advanced startup menu.

Drivers version you are looking for is 2.0.0.5 PR12, works with Windows 8.1 RTM

• Necroman
    Options

It looks like Station-Drivers site is now in a middle of reconstruction and the only GPU drivers there are for high end Intel CPUs.

• damm
    damm Member Posts: 13 New User
    Options

Hi,

have you solve the problem?

I'm interested in the solutions

• Necroman
    Options

Nope, I'll let you know once I figure it out.

• damm
    Options

Are you still stuck with the black screen or do you have install again Win 8.1?

Someone suggest me to try install acer driver pack in win 8 comapatibility mode to avoid the problem.

• Necroman
    Options

I've tried installing the driver package with Windows 8 compatibility mode - after restart still the same, the screen is blinking every second, most likely GPU driver restarts, cannot do anything with it, the only way how to get rid of it is clean installation again.

Edit: I made it work! The trick was after clean install install the driver pack, but do not restart immediately. Instead I've enabled Boot to desktop and Show app list in the taskbar properties. Also I've activated the Windows with my previous OEM license key from WIndows 8. After restart it booted directly to desktop with no more endless blinking.

Note it can be seen, that wen running some Metro apps or Metro menus the GPU drivers are still unstable, but overall it is usable.

Just out of curiosity, when I checked Windows Update, there was only update to Windows Defender. No other update for Win8.1 RTM was published yet.

• damm
    Options
    I had the same problem.
    restart in safe mode and uninstall graphic driver, it works.
    After that I had a problem with activation, in the end I recovered original system
  • jpearn

Tinkerer

Options

You need the latest Z2760 Intel driver pack for 8.1 2.0.0.5 PR12, it was available on Station-Drivers but has gone . . . Also with the 8.1 Preview, MS did provide an updated driver through Windows Update, which is not currently there.

I will see if I can upload the pack somewhere as it fixes all the glitches !

• jpearn

Tinkerer

Options

Drivers :

As promised here they are. Feel free to mirror them, this is from Station Drivers, unmodified. I have checked them for viruses etc., but don't take my word on it, check them yourselves !

• Phil-3
    Phil-3 Member Posts: 1,181 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Hello everyone,

While our members are generally eager to provide useful information, be advised that Acer does not validate third party external links for downloads and is not responsible for them.

Acquiring files through such links is at the user’s own risk.

• marc-falzon
    marc-falzon Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Maybe if Acer would give us the update driver, people wouldnt need to be suggesting third party suppliers Smiley Happy

• koradiap
    koradiap Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I upgraded the Iconia to 8.1, where do i get the Activation key from? not mentioned anywhere on the acer box.

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator
    Answer ✓
    Options

I just want to jump in to clarify, Windows 8.1 is not released to the public and we will not post drivers or provide support for the operating system until it is officially released by Microsoft. Drivers and other support material will be located on our support site at http://www.acer.com as they become available after launch.

• marc-falzon
    marc-falzon Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

im also referencing drivers for 8 as noted in http://community.acer.com/t5/Tablets/Graphics-driver-for-W510/td-p/44761 where we know that hp and samsung have drivers that work properly the atom chip, but acer have refused to comment or update

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

Microsoft released the RTM to the MSDN so it is now available.

When loading I have always run the Acer driver package before rebooting.

If you use Bitlocker, you will need a USB keyboard to enter the passphrase at boot. It cannot access the built in BIOS touchboard used to enter the System Password.

Following a clean windows install with format you will not be able to access the wireless, touch screen, bluetooth, HDMI output, or SD card. You will need to install the drivers from a USB drive.

A passive USB hub will support a flash drive, keyboard, and mouse. It does not have enough power to drive a RJ-45 connection, DVD drive, large SSD drive, or any USB device that has a dual headed cable.

BTW there is an "Embedded Enterprise 8.1" on MSDN. It cannot be used to create a Windows to Go drive (does not recognise the image and gives a really odd error).

• istby2
    istby2 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Well, I'm not having any GPU issues and yes, my 3rd party virus/malware/firewall was uninstalled and its reinstall turned up some incompatability issues, the really aggrivating issue is my stereo bluetooth headset now plays only MONO!

It's 100% a Win 8.1 issue because every one I've tried is the same.  It's really aggivating.

Anybody have a resolution?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

Hopefully when 8.1 is released next month we'll see more updated drivers.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
This discussion has been closed.