Aspire 6930 Recovery

calabar46
calabar46 Member Posts: 4 New User

I had to change the hard drive on my Aspire 6930 running Vista. I installed a WD 320 Gb drive in place of the original 250 Gb drive.

Using the 3  recovery discs which I made when the computer was new, everything seemed to install ok. However when the computer tried to boot up I got the following message:"Windows Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware". I also have an additional disk received as a result of an "Acer Recovery Settlement". Not sure if this should be used or how.

Best Answer

• calabar46
    Answer ✓

Hi Vince - Thanks for your answer.

My original disk that failed was a Western Digital 250 Gb SATA drive.

I replaced it with a WD 320 Gb drive, The rescue disk seemed to load up ok but Windows would not start.

I finally tried a 250 Gb Seagate drive - this worked like a charm.

Apparently the recovery disks will not allow you to update your hardware.

It needed to see the same size hard disk.

..........calabar46

Answers

• jdwaco
    jdwaco Member Posts: 133 Troubleshooter

I will suggest you to use the new set of RCD. 

• calabar46

Thanks for your suggestion, but.

The new disk that they sent me is not a set of recovery disks, it is a single disk that seems to be used with the original disks. I did that and got the same result.

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Calabar, did you install the new hard drive yourself? Is it identical to the hard drive you replaced? If not, one possibility is that the drivers on the recovery disk cannot work with the new hard drive.

At this point, I would take it to a computer repair shop. They MIGHT be able to get into your rig using a version of Windows that is used for hacking into computers, and then they might be able to solve your problem. They might need to install a set of drivers designed for that hard drive and your operating system.

• calabar46
    Answer ✓

Hi Vince - Thanks for your answer.

My original disk that failed was a Western Digital 250 Gb SATA drive.

I replaced it with a WD 320 Gb drive, The rescue disk seemed to load up ok but Windows would not start.

I finally tried a 250 Gb Seagate drive - this worked like a charm.

Apparently the recovery disks will not allow you to update your hardware.

It needed to see the same size hard disk.

..........calabar46

This discussion has been closed.