Need missing screws from bottom of my tablet keyboard

Options
smitra
smitra Member Posts: 1 New User

I miss a screw from my ICONIA W5 tablet kyboard.  It is on the top left corner.  I tried to contact Acer Canada but there is nobody there to talk to.  I just need a screw!  Where can I get it. I know you don't what other's part on your produce but where can I find one.  I bought this online from Futureshop in last Christmas. If Acer can not provide support for their product I will neve buy another one!

J

Answers

• Leho
    Leho Member Posts: 525 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Smit

I suggest that you go to a local computer repair shop.  They would normally keep an assortment of screws and other bits and pieces on hand.

A screw is a minor standard item and I can assure you that it was not designed or fabricated by Acer.  I expect that to buy one from Acer would be prohibitively expensive.  Procure locally.

Leho

• nichts13
    nichts13 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

You wouldn't need to go to a hardware store if Acer took pride in their work. And it's pretty **bleep**ty I have to be under warranty to even speak to you guys. Without resorting to asking a question through a sells rep at the online store.  I can't use hardware screws . Now my laptop cracks open everytime I open it.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,941 Trailblazer
    Options

Acers procedure on something like this is pretty much the same as every other manufacturer. They'll want you to send them the keyboard and they'll replace it as part of the warranty process. It's likely that the plastic the screw seats in is stripped out and just putting a replacement screw in wouldn't last, the screw would fall out like the last one. Best bet is to do like suggested and see if a similar screw is handy at a computer shop or hardware store. If the hole is stripped they might have suggestion on a fix that doesn't require a complete replacement.

Or, since you are still under warranty, go for the full replacement. They might be worried the screw is missing because you opened it yourself and lost it though.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • nichts13
    Options

Really now your saying I did this to my laptop? wth I am not under warrnaty hence why I had to ask a sells rep at the online store, you don't have an option to speak to anyone unless I'm under warranty that's pretty stupid.

Why don't you guys use lock tight so this wouldn't be a problem. The screws have been falling out since I first got it. I didn't even notice until the screen made a cracking noise because it came open because the screws that are missing belong to the joint holding the screen on. Telling people to go to a hardware store is just passing the buck. Hopefully You don't edit out my complaints this time, ElizabethS.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,941 Trailblazer
    Options

If you bought it at Chistmas time, it should only be 6 months into the year warranty... But perhaps you bought it the christmas before last. Either way your best bet is still the hardware store or a computer shop. If your plastic is stripped out you may have to find something slightly larger than stock. Locktite can really only help when the screws go into a nut, not so good with the coarse thread and plastic, since the plastic is the weak link.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • nichts13
    Options

Maybe you guys should fix that design flaw. If I knew the screen was mount so crappily I wouldnt of bought it. This laptop is only 10 month old. My Toshiba at least had a solid screen mount without hinges with cheap plastic and metal screws.

• nichts13
    Options

I'd also like to know how to delete my acer account.

This discussion has been closed.