Acer Aspire 7741G BSoD when reinstalling Windows 7 with Erecovery and DVD/CD-ROM now not working

Options
tamtot
tamtot Member Posts: 2 New User

Hey all!  I decided to reinstall Windows yesterday to clean up my computer.  I used Erecovery to reinstall back to factory default.  Everything seemed to go well until Window had finished installing and was restarting at which point the computer gave me the dreaded BSoD and shutdown. I tried restarting Windows normally numerous times with the same result.  Restarting in Safe Mode also gave the same BSoD and shutdown.  I eventually got Windows restarted by using the Restart Windows with Networking option, at which point I decided to make a backup disk of the clean install.  This is when I realised that the DVD/CD-ROM was no longer working!  I have tried numerous disks with no luck.  The drive is visible in My computer and Device Manager says it is working fine, but when I put in a disk, the light flashes for a few seconds and it sounds as though it is starting to read the disk, but then stops, and when I click on the drive in My Computer the tray ejects and I am asked to insert a disk.  I have had no problems whatsoever until this point, and the DVD/CD-ROM was working fine until after reinstalling Windows!  I do not know if the BSoD was caused by the DVD/CD-ROM or if the DVD/CD-ROM not working is a product of the BSoD.  I do not understand why the reinstall should cause these problems as the whole point of this is to reinstall to factory default state, thus eliminating any previous problems (of which I seemed to have none!!). I tried reinstalling a 2nd time, and got the same BSoD problems.

I have tried updating the DVD/CD-ROM driver and uninstalling the device and rebooting, but it didn't help.  I have tried searching for the driver on the internet, incase the existing driver is corrupt in someway, but cannot find anything!  Also, the Acer Live Updater didn't find any new updates!  DVD/CD-ROM is  listed as HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT32N.

All of this is due to usng Erecovery and since my computer is no longer under warranty, I have no idea what to do!

Any help or advice with these problems would be very grateful!  Apologies for the long post Smiley Happy

Answers

• newacer
    newacer Member Posts: 75 Troubleshooter
    Options

did you test hard drive and/or mem, they may defective and cause bsod

• tamtot
    tamtot Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hey, thanks for the reply!  I have done as you suggested and checked the hard drive and memory, and both results came back fine, no problems.  I'm at a complete loss now, as the DVD/CD-ROM worked fine before the reinstall of Windows, and I have no idea why the reinstall caused the BSoD's.  I have also deleted the upper filters and lower filters in the registry as suggested elsewhere, and still the DVD/CD-ROM won't work!  Any more ideas??

• Rob237
    Rob237 Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

Have you tried to re-install the drivers for the dvd from the Acer folder in the startup menu,it's part of the e-recovery program that contains all the drivers for your machine..Start button - all programs- Acer- eRecovery when it opens you'll see a choce for installing the drivers

This discussion has been closed.