Acer Aspire V5-122P-0857 backlit keyboard question

Options
NHMike
NHMike Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello,

I recently purchased an Acer Aspire V5-122P-0857 from a local Staples. The laptop does not have a backlit keyboard, which is something I think I would find very useful.  I did notice that the same model on some online retailers DOES come with a backlit keyboard.  I'm just outside of Staples 14 day return policy and was wondering if anyone knows a good location to purchase a backlit version of the keyboard and any step-by-step instructions on how to remove/reinstall the keyboard in this model.  If the keyboard is cheap enough, it'd be an easy upgrade provided the motherboard has the pins for the backlight to plug into.  thanks!

Answers

• ScottyC
    ScottyC Member Posts: 433 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

You're likely better off grabbing it off of ebay, or ordering a replacement for the other model you had mentioned. In the service guide for your exact model removing the keyboard isn't mentioned. Check out THIS MANUAL on page 88 and it should be pretty much the same.

[link removed at ScottyC's request]

• Leho
    Leho Member Posts: 525 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

All

Just a word of caution.  I opened the link provided by Scotty and attempted to download a manual,  I ended up with a bunch of unwanted bloatware that I'm in the process of trying to remove, check for viruses (?viri) etc.

I regard this as a case of use at your own risk.

Leho

• rajith
    rajith Member Posts: 63

Tinkerer

Options

Hi,

If the keyboard has the backlight feature, you can enable/disable it using the key combination

Fn +F9.

Try this out before replacing the keyboard or thinking about an alternate option!!!!!!!!

• ScottyC
    Options

Just checked the link and I didn't find anything wrong with it, but I am using an arsenal of anti-malware programs. If Leho has found something then please do take his advice and proceed with caution.

• ScottyC
    Options

Thanks for pointing that out Leho.

[edited to comply with guidelines]

• NHMike
    NHMike Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks for all of your replies.  I will do some investigating.

• NLAC13
    NLAC13 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

I have your model and it HAS the backlight keyboard.  It was one of the main criteria for me purchasing this laptop.  It seems to not stay lit when I am mpowered solely by the battery or during the daylight.  I am hoping to find the manual to see exactly how it operates.  I love this feature!

• NLAC13
    NLAC13 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

I have your model and it HAS the backlight keyboard.  It was one of the main criteria for me purchasing this laptop.  It seems to not stay lit when I am powered solely by the battery or during the daylight.  I am hoping to find the manual to see exactly how it operates.  I love this feature!

• IVIikee360
    IVIikee360 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hello! just wanted to know, did you get any further into your investigation about swapping a non-backlit keyboard to a backlit keyboard for your aspire v5 122p?

Thanks, Mike

• rsaravanan1985
    rsaravanan1985 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Any solution? I want to turn off the keyboard backlit in my acer V5 P571. It's anoying, evey if turn it off by Fn+F9 it comes turn on in few mins. I don't want backlit. 

This discussion has been closed.