Acer Aspire X3450 Desktop - Extended display on HDMI

Options
rocketman
rocketman Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi, I'm a new member.

I have an Acer Aspire X3450 desktop PC and am running Win 7. I have my main monitor plugged into the VGA port and want to extend my desktop onto an LCD monitor plugged into the HDMI port, but I can only get the HDMI monitor to Duplicate my main monitor. If I right click Desktop, choose Screen resolution, my system does not detect the HDMI monitor so I can't Extend my Desktop onto it. Is extending the desktop onto HDMI possible, or does the HDMI port only work to duplicate the Desktop?

Thank you.

Answers

• Juzzo
    Juzzo Member Posts: 117 Troubleshooter
    Options

Im seeing that that computer came with a AMD Radeon HD 6450.

It should support dual monitors, however the HDMI may be integrated as opposed to part of the gfx card.

Here are a few things to try.
    With the HDMI plugged in, click start, then use the search bar with a search for radeon. Typically, graphics cards will have their own software for controlling the graphics. (There might be a radeon icon down on the lower right even) See if the gfx software detects the second monitor.

If the gfx card takes an expansion slot, there will be a few ports you can plug into. Plug into one of these, dvi or vga..not hdmi (buy an adapter if needed) and the Rt.click-resolution path should then detect the second monitor.

HDMI sometimes acts strange depending on age of equipment...Its main purpose is to attach to a TV, and ive had different TV's either cloan my screen or extend it, with no input from myself.

• leith
    leith Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I have tried to extend my Acer X3450 to a second monitor via USB/VGA link and via a HDMI/VGA convertor and all I get is a duplicate monitor. Does the graphics card support a second monitor?

This discussion has been closed.