Gateway DX4870 desktop crashed after win10 automatic update.

Optionen
hbl
hbl Member Beiträge: 6 New User
bearbeitet April 2023 in 2020 Archiv
I have a DX4870 desktop that has been upgraded to win10.  After the automatic windows update of January, 2020 it would no longer boot up.  Reinstall attempts using an ISO disk fail for lack of disk space. Apparently it does not recognize drive C.  I have located the Recovery partition but have no idea how to activate it.  I could use some help with this.  Thanks.

Antworten

• billsey
    billsey ACE Beiträge: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Optionen
    Boot from a Windows install flash drive and use the Repair function to get a command prompt. Use diskpart to look at the drives, volumes and partitions, then report back here with the data. That should help determine what is acting up, so we can work toward fixing it.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • hbl
    Optionen
    Here are the results from diskpart.  Note:  There is no Disk 2 found which probably the hard drive.  Also, the C drive letter is associated with the USB module; normally assigned to the hard drive.

List Disk:
    Disk ###    Status     Size   Free   Dyn   Gpt
    Disk 0        Online     0B     0B
    Disk 1        No Media 0B    0B

List Volume:
    Volume ###   Ltr   Label        Fs     Type              Size          Status       Info
    Volume 0       D       ESD-ISO UDF   DVD-ROM      4090 MB   Healthy
    Volume 1      C       __           __              Removable      0B          No Media

• hbl
    Optionen
    Additional information related to the above:  

select disk 1
    detail disk
      Generic - Multi-Card USB device
      Type:  USB
    etc.
  • billsey
    Optionen
    Yup, the HDD isn't showing up at all. Check first to make sure both ends of the SATA cable are connected and that the power connector is seated. If that doesn't fix it do you have another system you can try the disk in?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • hbl
    Optionen
    I have an external USB adapter I can try.  If nothing else, maybe I can retrieve some files.
  • hbl
    Optionen
    What is curious is I was using the computer with no problems minutes before.   I responded to the restart request for Win10 update and walked away.  When I returned the computer was not rebooting.  Sounds like an OS problem, but what?
  • billsey
    Optionen
    Tough call, I'd guess you have a corrupted UEFI partition, except the drive would still show up, just not be bootable.
  • hbl
    Optionen
    Unless something crops up, I suppose my next step will be to pull the drive and put it into the external adapter.  If it is readable I should be able to at least rescue some files.
  • billsey
    Optionen
    Yes, that is likely the best next step.