aspire es1-512-c96s cd drive wont read, out of box since 4-23-15?

d13pcav
d13pcav Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2015 Archives

I picked up an Aspire E15 Start (ES1-512-C96S) on 4-23-15. I havent done much excpet download iTunes and OpenOffice.  I have put a audio CD and a DVD into it and nothing is being read. I hear the motor spin yet nothing appears on laptop (no info of any kind). So am I missing a driver software or have i need to activate a driver software?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

do a quick test, download IMGBurn, it's a cd/dvd burn free software:

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download&

with a CD/DVD on your drive, try to create a disk image (iso), if it fails it will popup a log.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • d13pcav

I downloaded IMGBurn. Its telling me that the device is not ready.

• d13pcav

also forgot to add that it says "Incompatible medium installed"

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

is DVD drive available on file browser or on

device manager?

Windows logo key + x
    click on Device manager

click on DVD/CD-rom drives, check if it appears

or on device manager any yellow exclamation mark is present.

can you copy/paste or attach here the IMGBurn log?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • cspace
    cspace Member Posts: 2 New User

My Aspire E 15 will not recognize blank CD's, Verbatim brand i even bough. Says drivers up to date. I can make disc images, i can use Verbatim DVD's, but cannot burn a simple CD. Since 2015 ...I had a bad hard-drive right out of the box new, then audio driver problems after that, was given wrong drivers by tech support, had to research myself and get the correct drivers from manufacturer site of sound card, had no need for a long time to burn a cd, but the day i wanted to...does not recognize disc, please insert a disc, etc etc, several brands...please help... it is my 2nd Acer, like a knucklehead i guess, as upgrade older laptop from vista to win 7, cd/dvd drive stopped working period, with no help or answers from Acer.
    To get people to buy new? It makes users mad and frustrated. Plus drivers for the cd/dvd drive aren't even here in the list for this machine. What is going on out there? 20 years ago, no problems on my machines, to do simple things like burn a cd, a dvd for that matter, in 2017 this should be resolved years ago...not digressing. And do not delete legacy files that you do have...ridiculous.

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hi

"We recommend checking Acer Support for information (user manual, FAQs, etc.)."

Maybe a known problem, and someone else has a solution, like openSuse.