Gateway NV55C repair failed

weinelb
weinelb Member Posts: 2 New User

I have a Gateway NV55C (SNID 03738258416) which came with Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit. When it wouldn't boot I used the [F10] menu and selected “repair retaining files” which seemed to get significantly into the repair then a window appeared stating Windows cannot be installed on this machine and did a restart. After that restart it it goes into what appears to be a Windows setup process for a few seconds then a dialog stating Windows cannot be installed on this machine appears and it does a restart. Now the “repair” option no longer appears in the [F10] menu. My hidden recovery partition is present and appears to be intact, but I can no longer get to it (even “Safe Mode, Command Prompt” boot goes into that setup then fails in the same way).

On the Gateway support site it finds my SNID, but the 3 recovery CDs are no longer present for download and only Windows 7 64 or 32 bit appears in the OS menu. Is it still possible to download the recovery CDs or a repair/install DVD for Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit? Alternately, can someone tell me what Registry entry, or bhoot option, is invoking that setup which fails?

Answers

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

If you did not create your recovery back up or if the back up you have doesn't work, you can purchase the recovery media for your product at https://store.acer.com/en-us. Click the link for eRecovery at the top of the page, enter in your serial number and click Submit. The price will come up below and you can place your order from there.

• weinelb
    weinelb Member Posts: 2 New User

I do NOT accept your money grubbing attempt to bypass your warranty obligations as a solution! Removing the repair CDs from the Gateway web site is a nefarious scheme to steal money from your cuastomers and should be prosecuted.

I resoleved the issue by burning a boot CD with a free partition management application and ran the recovery directly from the factory partition. The NV55C is now on Windows 7 Home Ultimate 64 bit and I am advising everyone I know to NEVER buy any Gateway or Acer product!