W700 bluetooth keyboard won't stay paired

alandpete
alandpete Member Posts: 19 New User

Yet again my bluetooth keyboard won't stay paired to my W700. I had the issue when we first got the tablet and then after one of the endless windows updates we all endure it seemed to resolve itself. On and off the for the last 10 or so months it will be paired after I wake it up, sadly more off than on.

A couple of weeks ago there was another batch of Windows updates and now it refuses to stay paired when it goes to sleep.  I thought maybe it was because the keyboard had no but even if I leave it connected to the tablet and wake it up fully charged, it is 'un-paired'.

Is anyone else experiencing this and if yes, have they found a solution?

I'll add this to the worsening screen burn issue.

Sad that something with so much potential seems so half baked.

Answers

• alandpete

Am I really the only person who is having this problem? Acer techs, any hints?

I'm running 8.1 with latest windows updates about a couple of weeks ago. Is it a driver issue?  I have bluetooth USB module driver 8.0.1.316 and bluetooth keyboard driver 6.3.9600.17093

cheers

peter

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

The only time I lose pairing is when the battery on the keyboard drops off. Recharging fixes it.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • alandpete

Hi billsey

Tried that, left keyboard plugged in to wall socket and it still dropped off so it doesn't appear to be a charging issue. I'm convinced it's a driver issue but I can't update the driver. The update options are greyed out. It ooks like i need to log in as admin but thought I already was so I'm stumped.

cheers

peter

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

My entry under Bluetooth for Acer iconia W700 Bluetooth Keyboard uses the 6.3.9600.17238 driver, signed by Microsoft as shown in Device Manager. Dated 6/21/2006 so sounds like there shouldn't be much newer... Smiley Happy

If you get into Device Manager via a right click on 'This PC' in Explorer, then selecting 'Manage', you'll automatically get it launched in Administrator mode.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • alandpete

thanks again billsey

Yes, that looks like the same driver. Seems odd that it would be so old.  I did check on the Atheros site and there's one from early last year 8.000 etc.  I downloaded it but couldn't get it to install.

I might try again from a USB stick.

It's driving me crazy.  I got the keyboard for a reason.  If I'm going to have to pair it every time I use the tablet it's just a waste of my time.

cheers

pete

• whiskey
    whiskey Member Posts: 32

Tinkerer

I've also had the problem of losing bluetooth connections to the keyboard after sleep...  All problems remain resolved after installing this Windows 8/8.1 driver -- Qualcomm/Atheros AR5xxx/9xxx Version Drivers 10.0.0.276 WHQL

There are newer drivers, but when I trtied one of the later revisions I got a return of that keyboard connectivity problem..Reverting back to *276 version fixed any issue.

The drivers are available from a French site -- StationDrivers

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/downloads/Drivers/Qualcomm-Atheros/WLan/AR5xxx-9xxxx-Serie/

Remember, before updating to this package to first reboot after uninstalling the existing and previous drivers if you have WiFi and or Bluetooth driver packages installed that are updated from the base OS driver as the OP.

• Phil-3
    Phil-3 Member Posts: 1,181 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hello everyone,

While our members are generally eager to provide useful information, be advised that Acer does not validate third party external links for downloads and is not responsible for them.

Acquiring files through such links is at the user’s own risk.

Thanks!

• alandpete

Thanks Phil-3 (and whiskey)

It's sad that members find that they need to offer solutions contrary to Acer's advice due to the inability or unwillingness of Acer to provide their own solutions to problems such as mine. The bluetooth driver dates from 2006 if my properties file is correct.  How can a device using 8.1 be using a driver from eight years ago?  It doesn't make sense.

I read with interest posts about the screen burn issue, something that my W700 also suffers from.  Total disinterest from Acer to offer a solution for this problem as well.  Our W700s aren't cheap pieces of tech and we should all have an expectation that Acer would provide better support for them than they currently are.

Anyways, I'll have a think about whiskey's solution as it's the only one on the table at the moment.

cheers

peter

This discussion has been closed.