W3 - boot from USB or CD/DVD

Options
DougB
DougB Member Posts: 5 New User

I have the W3-810.  Nice.

I use Acronis True Image 2013 to image backup my drives on all computers.

This way I can restore to last backup even with total drive failure.

I have set the Bios to insecure mode, and set the boot sequence to both a USB bootable device or a DVD.

I cannot get the W3 to boot to either the bootable USB or the bootable DVD.  All devices are recognized when connected and Windows 8 is running.  So the USB hub seems to be good.

What needs to be done to boot to other devices? 

Of course this brings up all sorts of security issues if the hard drive needs to be repaired on these tablets.  If a disk failed on a new machine we would just eat the failure and restore the image backups to a drive we replaced.  We would never send a machine with a drive in it for repair.

How are others dealing with this problem?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Doug

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

Dunno I had no trouble booting from a Win 8.1 DVD and a 149 GB USB hard drive without changing the BIOS other than turning on F12 and changing the boot order.

Right now am cleaning out the disk, have a 32GB W3 and have gotten over 15 GB free even with Microsoft Office. Now if someone could just point me to a method for dumping all of these extra apps.

Only hard part about booting from the USB drive was adding all the Intel, Wireless, and Bluetooth drivers. Originally had on the SD card but the Intel drivers are needed to see the SD card so had to move to C:

ps I deal with it by putting everything personal on a 32GB SD card

• f2
    f2 Member Posts: 24 New User
    Options

<<Of course this brings up all sorts of security issues if the hard drive needs to be repaired on these tablets.  If a disk failed on a new machine we would just eat the failure and restore the image backups to a drive we replaced.  We would never send a machine with a drive in it for repair.

How are others dealing with this problem?  >>

That was the issue I was facing when I discovered that I could not extract the sd card.  I had call Acer.  They were willing to offer an RMA for repairing it.  But I had already installed personal stuff on the W3 and my SD Card with more personal data was stuck in the unit.  I was clearly not happy about sending the unit in with MY personal data on both drives.  Ultimately, I decided to return it to Office Depot but only after erasing my personal data and RESETTING the system to Factory "New".  I also decided to get desparate and use the Pen Knife to "surgurically" remove the sd card.  Actually, as described elsewhere, I was able to lever the sd card out with the pen knife.  Erased and removed data.  Ran the RESET procedure. 

Clearly, folks do trust agencies to restore broken hard drives on occasion but you don't want to do it often and without checking the company credentials.

Depending on how these units fail, if you want warranty service, there probably is no choice.  I don't know the insides of these units and whether the "hard disk" is some removable plug in unit or soldered and hardwired into the circuitry.

• padgett
    Options

Soldered flat pack. Quite difficult to change. I just use that for programs and put data elesewhere. I prefer devices with SDcard sockets.

• f2
    f2 Member Posts: 24 New User
    Options

But you can't avoid saving some personal stuff on the "hard drive."   Cookies, passwords, email addresses, browser profiles including bookmarks, etc.  But, yes, having the sd card option is a nice way to avoid storing too much stuff internally.

There are tradeoffs in owning any technology.  So we just deal with it and hope for the best.

• jsd66
    jsd66 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    How did you free up so much space? Thanks
  • padgett
    Options

That is where Windows to Go on a Workspace drive is nice. Put the sensitive data on that and it will never contaminate the hard drive. Send the device back and keep the drive. Could use an external SSD (I have on a couple of 120GB SSDs & a Kingston Workspace) if need more space.

NSA even tells you how. http://www.nsa.gov/ia/_files/factsheets/Windows_To_Go.pdf

• jsd66
    jsd66 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    How did you free up so much space? Thanks
  • padgett
    Options

a) Back at the original questiuon you need to go into the BIOS, turn "secure boot" back on, erase the certificat library, turn secure boot back off and try.

b) space: Windows 8 by itself only uses about 8GB. All of the added apps and their files adds another 6. Pagefile.sys is 2, hiberfil.sys is 1.5 so you are now up to 17.5GB without loading anything. Take that away from a 32 GB SDD (which is really about 28.5GB real world) and you only have about 11 GB free from the get go.

By doing a lot of trimming, removing "hibernate", and cutting pagefile.sys down to 500MB (shouldn't be doing swapping anyway unless waaaaay too much is loaded) and I was able to get 14GB free for a short period. A 32 or 64GB micro SD is a really good idea particularly since I have over 7GB of "Music" now.

This discussion has been closed.