Screen flickering on acer iconia w510 after updating on 1/6/2014

Options
boyonfire89
boyonfire89 Member Posts: 9 New User

Hi,

I just restarted my Iconia w510 today to apply windows updates. Now when I start the tablet and log in, it goes straight to the desktop and starts to flicker on and off. It wont go to the start menue or anything. I tried hitting Ctrtl+Alt+Delete and I can open the task manager but am unable to do anything because of the constant flickering. I dont know what to do. My Bios has a password that Is unknown to me for I havnt been able to access my bios since the last firmware update locked it on me. I have tried refreshing my tab and tried restoring it but both options ask that I enter a disk. I have tried the system dvd and both recovery discs but it states the discs are invalid. I have no system restore points either. can someone help?

Answers

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Sounds like the problem I had when I updated to 8.1 on its release date, however recently I updated the bois to the latest on the ACER support site and re-installed the 8.1 via the store and so far (touching a whole forest of wood) I have had none of the problems as before.

regarding recorvery, Window 8 has several recovery options that I believe do not require disks, in fact your WC510 should have a partion on the drive for this purpose. Unless someone has re-installed (re-formatted the disk) and lost this data, it should be there. It took me some fiddling and some googling but I managed to recover without any disks, lost all my apps and some local data.

good luck.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

Sounds like you have the wrong video driver.

Does the login screen come up OK ? If so select the accessibility bitton on the lower left and select "high contrast". This may control the flickering enout to see which video driver you have.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

OK I just duplicated the flickering after an update to "2.08" from Acer. The update recommendation popped up on my screen.  What happened was the Intel Graphics adapter driver changed from the proper 9.14.3.1176 to 9.14.3.1102.

To fix, on the login screen change the display to "High Contast" (essentially black and white) and then login.

Go into device manager >display adapter >Intel GA>Driver and verify the driver is not .1170 or .1176.

Select "roll back driver" (may need to be patient, screen will still jump and be slow to react).

Reboot

Turn off "High Contrast" and login. See if driver is corrected.

If that doesn't work you can also try "uninstall driver" (do not select delete) and reboot.

If that works, please let us know what the bad driver number was.

I just restored mine that way - think it tried to istall v2.08 & BIOS is now 1.51.

• BleauJP
    BleauJP Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I just recovered from a 2.08 upgrade giving the flickering error at start.

I did the procedure, my driver was 1102.

I downgraded and everything was back to normal after.

Thanks.

• Antipodes
    Antipodes Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I have had the same issue with one of my W510 tablets for a few weeks now and have not had the time to reload.

Fortunately, I found this fix from Padgett which worked exactly as stated.

Much appreciated for your time to find this fix.  Saved me from hours of reloading windows and then all my other software.

This tablet is actually used on a machine as a download interface, really missed when it would not work correctly.

Oh and driver which was bad was 9.14.3.1102

Thanks again Padgett!!!

• wassolon
    wassolon Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

thanks Padgett..............u helped me today otherwise i was about to loose my tablet today.your explanation gave me solution.

thank you.Smiley Very Happy

• tawich
    tawich Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Thanks for the solution, saved my day. My driver was 1102

• rsf_83201
    rsf_83201 Member Posts: 11 New User
    Options

All of your advice changing the display adapter worked! Thank you!!! However, now i am unable to change back from High Definition back to Low Definition.  I have two users on my Iconia W510 (both me) and for one the display is in Low Def (the other user) and one in High Def that wont change back!  Any suggestions how to get the Low Def to stick? I have rebooted a few times to no avail! Thank you again for the fix to the Display adapter. Like others mine was changed to 1102 and is now back to 1176.

• rsf_83201
    rsf_83201 Member Posts: 11 New User
    Options

Problem solved.  I had hit the lock screen selection and when i went back and selected it again it freed things up and all is right with the world! Thank you all, very much! That flickering screen gives ya the heebie jeebies!  What a GREAT FORUM!

Roy

[edited for privacy - please do not post personal or unique information]

• JesusisGod
    JesusisGod Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Dear Padget and All, I am new to this community. I just wanted to say thank you for your 2014 post which saved me a lot of stress with my flickering Acer Iconia w510 screen.

The rollback did not work for me but the uninstall did. My driver number was first .1176, which did not work. After I tried rollback it was .1102 - that did not work either but did not allow any further rollback so I tried uninstall which worked.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and knowledge. Kindest, Alton