Not able to detect Wifi hotspots in my Iconia W510

Options
akm0001
akm0001 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

I tried connecting to hotspot created on my Nokia Lumia 630, but it's not showing up in my tablet!
But other laptops and mobile are able to connect and work normally on the same hotspot!

And my tablet also not connects to wifi hotspots created from other laptops using 'connectify' or any virtual hotspot software.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

There is a setting to allow connection to ad hoc networks that defaults to disabled. You might check into that...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • akm0001

Tinkerer

Options

what that "allow connection to ad hoc network" has to do with connecting to a wifi network?

My problem is that other devices are able to connect to wifi hotspot created on my lumia 630.

but the same hotspot is not even detected in my iconia w510.

and even when it detects any other password protected wifi network, after typing in the password it says "unable to connect" every time!

PS- please don't suggest the obvious "turn on wifi"/"check password"/"try updating driver"/"restarting the stupid device"/"updating windows" 

• billsey
    Options

Most phone tethering apps that I have used provide an ad hoc network. By default Windows hides ad hoxc networks from you because of the increased security risk. Assuming you know of those risks you can turn on the ability to have Windows show you ad hoc networks. Once that's turned on you should see the tethered phone network.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • akm0001

Tinkerer

Options
    Can you please elaborate the steps to enable that?
    Thanks!
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

I use a program called inSSIDer from Metageek to identify everything wireless including type, channel, band, signal strength, and SSID. This will tell you what is broadcasting in your area.

When extra performance is needed I have a couple of EnGenius EUB9603H long range external adapters. Very handy when camping a distance from the source.

I find the wireless in the W510 is considerably stronger than the W3 possible from longer antennas.

• akm0001

Tinkerer

Options
    ..so I installed this inSSIDer Ver. 3.1 ..but my hotspot is not appearing in the Application!

Is this only me or anyone else has issues with this stupid tablet to connect to a hotspot!!

• akm0001

Tinkerer

Options
    Is there anyone who can help me with this issue?
  • padgett
    Options

Is anything appearing in Inssider ? (second page). Is your adapter appearing in the first page ? Left side near the top).

• akm0001

Tinkerer

Options
    Yeah.. and I can see 3 wifi networks (probably my neighbour's)
    ..but the hotspot created by my Lumia 630 is not showing up in this software.

But the same hotspot is showing up and connecting properly in another laptop.
  • padgett
    Options

Any chance the hotspot is set up not to broadcast a SSID ? You can still connect but have to know what it is since it won't appear in a normal scan.

• akm0001

Tinkerer

Options
    I don't see any such option in the Lumia 630.

Is there any way to figure that out?
  • billsey
    Options

If you have an Android phone you could try the WiFi Analyzer app. If it also doesn't show yor SSID the there is a good chance it's not being broadcast. It might also be broadcasting in Ad Hoc mode. Some Windows configurations will hide Ad Hoc networks.

• akm0001

Tinkerer

Options
    So I should assume that it's not gonna work anyhow!!
  • billsey
    Options

If the SSID is not being broadcast you only need to add the network manally. If instead it's an Ad Hoc network you need to tell Windows to allow those types of connections. Check out this page for instructions.

• akm0001

Tinkerer

Options
    I really appreciate your help..
    I went through the link and followed the steps..

Now my "hotspot" is appearing ..but everytime I'm trying to connect, it checks for "network requirements" and then says "Can't set up internet sharing"
  • billsey
    Options

Yeah, yo don't want to setup innternet sharing. That wold make your tablet into the hotspot, and yor phone is already doing that.

• akm0001

Tinkerer

Options
    Alright then, I got nothin! The problem persists.
  • padgett
    Options

Sounds like your phone is not set up correctly for tethering (hotspot). I use a MiFi device and it just shows up as a WiFi connection.