Iconia w3 user says howdy!

Options
KRA5H
KRA5H Member Posts: 12 New User

Howdy!

I have a hand-me-down Iconia w3-810. It has lots of problems. I want to see if I can get it into some kind of usable condition.

How do I tell if it is a w-810 or w-810P?

Admin account is locked.

Battery won't hold a charge. Have to plug it into AC and wait a while before I can boot it.

I can boot it to the DOS prompt (hold power and windows key, etc.). It has the C: drive and the X: (hidden) drive. I would like to resest it back to factory settings, but don't have an external optical disk. I have the windows 8 32bit system disk, recover disks 1 and 2, and language disks. So, is there a reset button that can restore the w3 back to factory settings from the X: drive image, or is there a way to get it to boot from the micro SD card slot--that is, copy the recovery disks or Windows disk to a bootable microSD card and restore it to factory settings?

No need for backups since it was never actaully used in the first place so no files that need to be backed up.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Try

net user administrator /active:yes 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• KRA5H
    Options

Regarding the factory reset:

I tried the reset button next to the microSD card slot, but that did nothing. I tried holding power and down-volume button, but that did nothing.

As I said I can boot it to the DOS prompt (hold power and windows key, etc. to get to command prompt) so, is there a command prompt program that I can run to reset it back to factory settings using the X: drive image?

• billsey
    Options

I'm afraid you are likely going to have to come up with an external DVD drive (self powered or plugged into a powered hub). it sounds like there isn't a good install image at the moment.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

I believe the "P" suffix is for systems shipped with Windows Professional.

• KRA5H
    Options

"I believe the "P" suffix is for systems shipped with Windows Professional."

Thanks padgett.

"I'm afraid you are likely going to have to come up with an external DVD drive (self powered or plugged into a powered hub). it sounds like there isn't a good install image at the moment."

Thanks for the reply--I think the install image got borked with the windows 8.1 update.

Regarding the admin lock out, is there a way to unlock it from the command prompt? I can boot it to the troubleshooting command prompt since I have the supervisor password (UEFI password).

Failing that, is there a way to create an account with admin priviledges from the command prompt? If so, then I might be able to update the bios--I understand this might help the battery charging issue--and may be able to install a good copy of windows 8.1

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options

Try

net user administrator /active:yes 

• KRA5H
    Options

Thanks Billsey. That worked! It took a couple of tries but was able to unlock admin account. now I can login as admin but the w3 hangs at installing drivers message (while trying to install the wifi drivers--perhaps part of the failed window 8.1 update). Is there a way to stop driver install before it hangs, maybe a command prompt command to prevent the driver install or by pass the driver install? the guest account works ok so even if the w3 can't access a wifi access point at least admin access with a mostly working windows 8 is better than a hung windows 8.

• billsey
    Options

I haven't been able to find a command prompt that would work as well as msconfig... Is there a chance to get msconfig launched and saved before the lockup? What happens if you boot without a network (maybe just turn off your router for testing)? If the issue is with the download process for the update, and the download doesn't start, you might be able to get farther.

• KRA5H
    Options
    I may sound a bit neo-luddite; old-skool, even. Not using a wifi router so, need to turn off router for testing. I've only been able to boot the w3 without a network. While researching my w3 issues, I found that you can replace the accessibilty button (waiting for the w3 battery to charge so I can't remember what it's called--anyway its the control on the lower left on the login screen and when you tap it it starts talking to you like the screen reader for the visually impared) with cmd.exe. So I can tap it and get to a command prompt and then try to run msconfig from the command prompt. I'll let you know if I can get msconfig to run from there. If so, what would I need to do in msconfig?
  • KRA5H
    Options

finaly got w3 to boot to log in screen. Yes I can  get to command prompt from the reader for the visually impaired icon. I was able to get msconfig to run before logging in as admin. tried to make a simple change in msconfig such as changing the timeout, but get warning message:

"System Configuration cannot save the original boot configuration for later restoration. Boot changes will be reversed. A required priviledge is not held by the client."

Then it returns to the origial configuration (back to 30 seconds). any ideas on how to get it to save the changes? if so, I might be able to try what it is you want me to do from msconfig.

• billsey
    Options

Try this:

runas /user:Administrator C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\msconfig.exe

• KRA5H
    Options

The good news is I can also boot to safe made and login as admin but bad news is I get same message when I try to make changes in msconfig. Will try the command you posted:

runas /user:Administrator C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\msconfig.exe

Which would be best? To run msconfig in standard mode before logging in as admin or run msconfig from safe mode? And if I can actually make chnges in msconfig, what do I do next--once I'm in msconfig?

• billsey
    Options

Google Windows 8 clean boot. I'd try running msconfig from safe mode, that command should allow you to make changes without erroring out from too low of permissions.

• KRA5H
    Options

The bad news is, clean boot didn't work. The good news is I was able to connect up a USB mouse and keyboard thru a non-powered hub and a female USB to male micro USB that I hacked together from two different cords. when the iconia hung during the wifi driver install, I was able to ctrl-alt-del to get to the login screen and then to the command prompt. at command prompt I was able to run taskmgr (it wouldn't work when I clicked on it from the login screen) and end the driver install process. then I returned to the admin account. this started the rest of the installs which installed successfully. then it hung at the acer cloud software install. So, same procedure. the rest of the software installed. I was able to get the wifi, etc. software to install properly from the the acer recover icon on the widow 8 desktop.

It turns out the the OS is actually windows 8 not the 8.1 update.

want to get the cameras to work to work but will worry about that later.

The pressing problem is to get the battery to hold a charge. I think I have to install the bios update from here: http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

have downloaded the bios update and other updates to a micro sd card.

just want to verify that I should install the bios update (and hopeful this will correct the battery issue).

thanks in advance for your help and a thousand thanks for all the help you've already provided.

• billsey
    Options

If you don't yet have that BIOS version then yes, you should install it.

• KRA5H
    Options

Ok I was able to update the BIOS, but battery still will not hold a charge. Is there any other way to correct this problem? is there a recall for Iconia W3s shipped with bad batteries?

This discussion has been closed.