Iconia W510 WiFi speed

Options
The_Hees
The_Hees Member Posts: 3 New User

My wifi connection speed is 54Mbps and there's no way I can improve that. I have a Cisco E4200 router and my other devices reach speeds up to 150 - 300 Mbps. The Broadcom in the W510 is a agbn device so imho it should be able to be faster than 54Mbps. Does anyone have any suggestions? Could this be a driver issue?

Best Answer

Answers

• Sonic38
    Sonic38 Member Posts: 15 New User
    Options

http://community.acer.com/t5/Acer-Tablets/W510-Wireless-Network-Adapter-reading-speeds/m-p/39659#M4225

I was having the same issue still am Acer was not able to help me nor was anyone in my thread I started. Your guess is as good as mine. Btw how are you doing your read test? And what is your provider speed compared to your data read speed?

• whiskey
    whiskey Member Posts: 32

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

I have addressed the hardware limitations of a 1x1 802.11n network adapter here:

http://community.acer.com/t5/Acer-Tablets/W510-Wireless-Network-Adapter-reading-speeds/m-p/39659#U39659

That is what the W510 has.  In brief, when connected to 20MHz wide channels on a wireless-N  standard network, the fastest data transfers you may achieve will be around 38 Mb/s.

That is the way it is.  This is a budget device.  I know of no Atom Clovertrail device that has better wi-fi hardware than a 1x1 adapter.

• Damreal
    Damreal Member Posts: 123 New User
    Options

Well Whiskey apparently your wrong cause last time I checked my math 54Mbps is not the 38 mbps you claim ....I perosnally have only gotten 33 to 34 mbps tops ....how  The_Hees is getting 54mbps is astounding to me and I wish I could get those speeds 

• The_Hees
    Options

My speed is always somewhere 38Mbps and 54Mbps. Depends on the distance to the router.

• The_Hees
    Options

Thanks whiskey. I missed your article. It would be nice from Acer if they told the customer this instead of expecting everyone to have this in dpeth knowledge.

• whiskey
    whiskey Member Posts: 32

Tinkerer

Options

Damreal wrote:

Well Whiskey apparently your wrong cause last time I checked my math 54Mbps is not the 38 mbps you claim ....I perosnally have only gotten 33 to 34 mbps tops ....how  The_Hees is getting 54mbps is astounding to me and I wish I could get those speeds 

No, you are confusing connection rate with that of practical throughput speed.  There are overheads that come into play and will ALWAYS negate the two being on par.  This is the way it has always been Wi-fi.

A partial repost from the above link:

Even if you are connecting on 40 MHz-wide channels with this 1x1 client, your maximum possible data rate may be 150 Mb/s, but due to the overhead of TCP and especially security encryption protocals of your Wi-Fi network, a 50 Mb/s (~6 MB/s) actual throughput is quite reasonable.

A 32 Mb/s actual throughput quite reasonable for a 20 MHz-wide (half of 40) channels where the maxium possible connection rate with a 1x1 adapter is 65-72 Mb/s.

• Damreal
    Damreal Member Posts: 123 New User
    Options

No I can clealry read and no I'm not confused. I don't need another lesson on MHZ specturms of wifi signals ..........the man still is getting 54mps speeds regardless sure not the speeds he can get via what his wireless modem puts out but his tablet speed is still greater than you said ( to me anayway ) 

• Bert02
    Bert02 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options

im currently only getting average of 2 max of 3 MB/s i bought a wireless n router just to get faster speeds 6-7MB/s i would be happy with but it seems worse with the wireless N now.

any ideas of settings of the router or tablet?

heres my router settings...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r4ekp8lxfkicper/z_m4ni0Zvd

my wireless g has better speeds than wireless n and better range aswell

• m4f1050
    m4f1050 Member Posts: 12 New User
    Options

I upgraded to an AC1900 router and it improved my tablet's speed and connection from ~32Mb/sec to a solid 65Mb/sec.  Not sure you can get these up to 72Mb/sec.  I put the laptop next to the router and in different distances and it stayed at 65Mb/sec until I walked out of the house which I couldn't before.  And I still get ~32Mb/sec outside.  I had to space out the backup time between our 2 acer iconias. My wife's iconia is 32gb and I have a 64gb version, both with keyboards - they should've done something that would give the wifi more power to transmit faster when using the keyboard.  Heck, I have a HannsBook laptop a tad bit bigger than my acer and I just recently installed an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC + BT 4.0 (usb) 7260 867Mbps and it never reaches that high only about 170Mb/sec, nor does the BT work.  So I wouldn't sweat it that much...

EDIT:  I have 2 UG007 Android TV's and they are both 1x1 and also connect at 65Mb/sec since I upgraded to an AC1900 (Netgear to be exact, running tomato)  I use it to stream Netflix, Plex, Hulu, you name it, they can both play 1080p at the same time perfectly, before I couldn't do this.  Not a bad idea to upgrade IMHO.

This discussion has been closed.