ICONIA W4-820-Z3742G03aii totally frozen upon bootup, let me explain....

steve2470
steve2470 Member Posts: 15 New User

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314451

That is the tablet I bought on Newegg last year. I cannot find it on Acer's pages for the USA.

Now to the problem: I have been a very very bad boy, so please don't scold me too much!  Cat Sad

I am a beta tester for Windows 10. So, I wiped Windows 8.1 off my tablet, and installed Windows 10 successfully.

I wiped it again, and attempted to reinstall a newer build of Windows 10. THIS build totally freezes my tablet at the first configuration screen. I have tried absolutely everything, short of sending it back to Acer or cracking open the case.

I just ordered the eRecovery Thumb Drive for my exact SNID. Here is one of the problems: I have tried to boot off a USB thumb drive using the power recharge cable attached to a female to female USB adapter, which is connected to a bootable USB thumb drive (made by the rufus program). I cannot get the tablet to boot off this, despite setting USB HDD or USB DVD as the first default in the boot order.

I don't want to send it back to Acer, this is such a hassle. I think I can fix this myself. HELP!!!!!!

Thank you so much in advance, I'm at my wits end.

Steve

EDIT: Just to save time for everyone, I went back to the W10 forums,and got my answer:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_repair/bricked-my-acer-iconia-w4-820-z3742g03aii-tablet/5c396dc7-69dd-4531-87b0-397160e6c41f

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer

There was actually a rather long thread here when the W4 came out, discovering what cable was needed in order to use the USB port for USB. Turns out it's possible to maintain a charge while using the USB, though not increase the charge.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • steve2470

http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-Tablets/how-to-charge-the-W4-820-tablet-while-data-transfer-is-going-on/td-p/271906

Is that the thread you're referring to ?

To update all on my status, I received a OTG cable and have been trying to boot up with it and my USB thumb drive, formatted FAT32, set as first in boot order, secure boot off, secure boot settings have been erased. The tablet now definitely sees the usb drive, the usb drive light flickers, but the ******* old Windows 10 installation keeps getting booted up. The tablet screen freezes up and I can't do anything with it.

I think my next step is to hook up my USB DVD drive, which is externally powered by AC power.

on edit: http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-Tablets/Iconia-W4-Charging-whilst-using-USB-devices/td-p/224414

• steve2470

I tried using my USB DVD drive, and it's definitely recognized. The USB drive is more than willing to transfer data, but the tablet, again, refuses to cooperate.

My erecovery drive is coming in the mail, so that's the last resort I guess.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

I've been using a W3 to test Win 10-32 and the 98xx build was fine, the 99xx kept blowing up (3 hours to build, 5 minutes to find it didn't work, 3 hours to roll back), but the 100xx is working again.

• steve2470

I just got the eRecovery usb stick from Acer. Plugged it into the OTG cable. Made sure all BIOS settings were correct, I'm pretty sure. Secure boot off. Secure boot settings wiped. 

Tablet boots up and black CMD window pops up. So far so good. Small window pops up, asking me to restore to factory default settings. Ok, wonderful. I CANNOT PRESS THE OK BUTTON, because the **************** touchscreen is frozen.

Sigh.   Cat Mad

• steve2470

I got the revelation to hook up my usb mouse to the OTG cable. Rebooted. Windows 10 repaired the hard drive. Booted up into the same initial configuration screen. I was able to click everything I needed to click.

Needless to say, I'm reinstalling Win8.1. Holy ****** what an ordeal.

• steve2470

1- I was able to download Windows 8 x86 to the tablet.

2- I mounted the iso, and began the installation many times.

3- The bottom line for this tablet is that you MUST have it plugged into AC power while you are installing Windows 8, because the installation routine for Windows 8 demands it. I had the tablet 100% charged up overnight, and it still rejected doing it on battery power alone.

4- Acer puts Bitlocker on the hard drive. I had to learn how to disable that, and I did.

5- Now I have to order a ************** cable: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G2HM7494&cm_re=Startech_USB2HAUBY3_Y-cable-_-17-998-125-_-Product  I think that is the correct one, based on a thread here in the forums. It's StarTech USB2HAUBY3 3 ft USB Y Cable for External Hard Drive.

Any comments ? This has been quite the ordeal and learning experience.

• yuroktold1
    yuroktold1 Member Posts: 56

Tinkerer

bitlocker on a harddrive? what does it matter if yoy format your ssd prior to new OS installaion?

• steve2470

The Bitlocker was blocking me from formatting the hard drive. Trust me, I tried ignoring it but it was impossible.

• steve2470

I had to order a Y adapter for USB: USB 2.0 A Male To 2 Dual USB Female Jack Y Splitter Hub Power Cord Adapter Cable

This will enable me to use the USB mouse and have the tablet plugged into the AC wall unit for constant power. The touchscreen is totally frozen, still. Hopefully this adapter will do the trick. 

Never installing any beta OS on this tablet again. Never.

• Plastixx
    Plastixx Member Posts: 66 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

I don't understand all the fuss. I put a fresh copy of 8.1 on my W4 as soon as I got it. I used an OTG adapter I made along with a USB hub so I could use a mouse. The windows installation never said anything about needing to have the power plugged in.

• yuroktold1

Tinkerer

wonder if usb keyboard will work on yor frozen touch screen. regarding OS installation over windows 10. maybe it keeps some files in order to install windows 8 and doesnt wipe the drive. There are bootable usb free programs available where you can format c and delete  all partititions without loading OS. I didnt try it on uefi, but dont see why it wouldnt work if you use rufus right. This may explain the freeze. 

• steve2470

Windows 10 totally freezes the touchscreen. Only a USB mouse works and it is demanding that I have the tablet plugged in. Trust me, I've been trying everything.

• steve2470

For whatever reason, Windows 10 install is demanding AC power. I dunno. If this was simple to solve, I'd be out of here by now LOL

• yuroktold1

Tinkerer

so the problem is that you dont have a charger to plug it in a/c? you got the recovery usb with windows 8 (8.1), it still freezes up when it boots?

• steve2470

I have the erecovery USB stick that Acer sells. When it boots up, 1- it demands that I use AC power at all times (no joke), and 2- I cannot use anythng but a USB mouse to do anything. The screen is totally frozen otherwise.

This has driven me a bit batty. I've had to buy adapters to try to save it. I'm on my last resort I think. I would read the entire thread to see what I've been through.

• steve2470

I've done it all.

• Plastixx

I hate to say it, but you're doing something wrong. I've installed 8.1 from a USB stick twice already without a single problem.

• steve2470

I'm not doing anything wrong whatsoever. Go install Windows 10 beta on your tablet. Then get back to me.

It's like a virus. I've had problems with this tablet for days. EVERYONE NEEDS TO READ THE ENTIRE THREAD. I've done it all.

Ok, I'm done with Acer. I know I'm doing it correctly. YOU CANNOT INSTALL A BETA OS ON THIS TABLET.

Good bye, Acer. I'm deleting my account here.

• Plastixx

Well, it's too bad you give up so easily.

It's pretty simple to just wipe the entire eMMC drive if you think Win10 is causing issues.

Download GParted Live and make a bootable USB drive using Rufus. Set the USB drive as the first boot device in BIOS (disable secure boot), save changes and reboot. Choose the "safe graphics settings" from the option list. Once it's finished booting just use GParted to delete all the partitions on the drive. Problem solved.

I just took these pictures of me using an old iMac keyboard as a hub for the USB stick and mouse to run GParted on my W4...

w4_2.JPG

w4_1.JPG