How to perform USB system recovery on W510 - Complete Instructions

Junonia
Junonia Member Posts: 8 New User

I recently ordered the recovery disks for my W510, but it took days of trawling forums to get through the process. I wanted to make a post with complete instructions for other users. Hopefully this helps, and you won't have to do as much research.

Part 1 - Create bootable NTFS thumb drive formatted with fat32...don't worry this is easy

*** Using regedit ***

1. Windows key + "R" opens "Run"

2. Type diskpart Enter

3. list disk Enter

4. select disk # Enter (look at the list of disks to decide which one is your thumb drive)

5. clean Enter

6. create partition primary Enter

7. select partition 1 Enter

8. active Enter

9. format fs=fat32 quick Enter (this step will take a few minutes)

10. assign Enter

11. exit Enter

Part 2 - Copy ALL 4 recovery disks to the thumb drive.  Do not burn .iso's, do not try anything fancy. Simply insert the disks into an optic drive on another machine, open to view files, and COPY AND PASTE to the thumb drive.  

*** I used a 32-gig thumb drive. My disks would NOT fit on a 4 gig; not even close! ***

*** IF YOU HAVE 2 RECOVERY DISKS (that's system + language + recovery 1 + recovery 2) make sure you open RCD.DAT with a text editing program. Find the line that says "PCS = 2" and change it to "PCS = 1" Save, then proceed with copying and pasting.  This will fix the problem some people (me) had with the recovery making it to 98% then asking for another disk.

Part 3 - Edit tablet BIOS

1. Press the power button + volume down

2. Create an administrator password

3. Disable Safe boot and make sure enable F12 on boot is selected

4. Change the priority boot to USB hard drive on top

5. Exit, saving changes

Part 4 - Recovery

1. With the machine powered off, insert the recovery USB you created into the micro USB port using the adapter cable that came with the tablet.  You may also need a USB mouse depending on if you have updated drivers.  Plug this into the dock USB port.

2. When you get to the Acer logo screen, hit F12.

3. You get to a boot menu screen, select the thumb drive.

*** My tablet got stuck after this on the Acer logo screen if it was plugged in.  It worked as long as it was NOT plugged in and charging. ***

4. Go through the recovery prompts and don't stop praying until it's done!

*** If your tablet asks to insert the System disk at the end of the recovery process, but will not recognize that it is already on the USB, power off your tablet and reboot WITH THE USB STILL PLUGGED IN. The system recovery will proceed from where it left off and recognizes the System disk. ***

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

If this worked for you without having to erase the signature library in the BIOS, may I ask what your BIOS revision is ?

Also since several disks have the same file names, did you create a seperate folder on the thumb drive for each disk ?

Thank you, I always had to make the disk bootable for UEFI first unless the library was erased.

• Junonia

My bios version is 1.93, but the instructions I wrote in my post using diskpart will make your thumb drive bootable so I'm not sure I understand your problem.

I did NOT make separate files on the thumb drive for each disk. I simply copied the contents of each disk onto the thumb drive. Any duplicate files between disks are identical (I checked and this was true in my case anyway). Thanks for asking, probably not a bad idea to clarify.

• jimijam28
    jimijam28 Member Posts: 3 New User

thank you so much- it works ! Smiley Happy

• jimijam28
    jimijam28 Member Posts: 3 New User

wifi is not working- do i need too download a driver for this ?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer

Yes, you will want to download all of the drivers from the Acer site, and that first one will need to be pulled down on a different computer then transfered to your tablet via a thumb drive so you can get the network up.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Junonia

Here is a link to the drivers page on Acer's website:

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

• simon13
    simon13 Member Posts: 1 New User

I can't find the drivers for my tablet (just bought it on black Friday). After enter the serial number from the system detected program, it said service not available. Anyone have the same problem? Or know anything about this? If there's no drivers available for this tablet I don't want to start the recovery process.....

But wait, does it have to be this way (reinstall drivers everytime do the system recovery)? If so, its really ridiculous. i ran recovery on the laptops that has the recovery partition with no problem about the drivers.

I did tried to do recovery using my external DVD drive but the tablet doesn't seem to read the drive, I can hear it tried to read the disc but then it didn't boot from it but bypass and boot from the window. 

Thank you very much for any help!!!

P.S my reason for doing recovery cuz I updated to 8.1 and don't really like it. don't know if the trouble for booting with dvd drive has anything to do with windows 8.1. this is my first time using acer and it's not user friendly at allllll.

• menjoj123
    menjoj123 Member Posts: 21 New User

It does not continue after asking for system dvd and reboot...

• dougthedrum
    dougthedrum Member Posts: 1 New User

THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking the trouble to post this, these instructions work 100% as written!  I really appreciate your time, you have saved me untold hassle.  Doug

• amywahwah
    amywahwah Member Posts: 2 New User

will this work for w700?

• johan131
    johan131 Member Posts: 10 New User

I am trying desperate to update to 8.1. Anything I have tried didn't work so my only option is to reset Windows.

I have followed the instructions, I think (...), and have copied the 4 CD's to my internal SD card to discover that it didn't start up from the SD card.

I have an external card reader, connected to the USB port and have placed my SD card in that. It's installing right now.

Fingers crossed.

• johan131

Update,

Things got stuck when it asked for the System DVD. I did a reboot and whoppa it started re-installing, again.

While it was reinstalling, I knew this wasn't expected behaviour, I copied the System DVD onto a USB stick.

When it asked for the System DVD I powered off, stuck in the USB stick, reboot (without F12) and things continued.

It insisted on a username but the keyboard didn't work. (forget this part: I stuck in a USB num-keyboard, rebooted (without USB stick) and it still didn't recognise the USB keyboard still insisting on a username.

I examined the screen to discover it had a screen keyboard. So now I have the username "a" without password.

The machine started up as expected, just two small problems, the Touch screen doesn't work and the keyboard doesn't work...

• johan131

Update,

None of the machine specific drivers were installed. So, no keyboard, no modem, no touch etc. also the locale (I am Dutch) was not set. (perhaps I have taken a wrong turn somewhere)

From the Acer website I downloaded two sets of drivers for my W510, put them on a USB stick and I installed one set of drivers. After a reboot the Iconia wants me to Acivate Windows.

Using the phone I re-activated Windows, with a long session of swapping numbers. Lucky the keyboard worked now so I could enter the numbers.

After a reboot I installed the next set of drivers, ignoring the remark that these drivers are the same or older.

Another reboot later I got Internet working again. Now the floodgates for Winowd update are open.

I guess that after that I'm ready to install W8.1, I hope. And perhaps have the machine talking Dutch again.

• billsey

Sounds like you are getting there! Smiley Happy

When I purchased my used W700 it came with a generic install of Windows 8, without any Acer drivers. I had to follow similar steps to what you have been doing to install enough drivers via USB drive to get the network running so I could install the rest. I then upgraded the OS to Windows 8 Pro and then again to Windows 8.1. As long as you make sure you have the latest Acer driver pack (as well as all Windows updates and Windows Store updates) installed before you try the 8.1 update the rest should go smoothly.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • johan131

Update (last),

Windows update installed a bit more as 108 updates. I had to reboot three times to have them all installed.

Windows was installed just fine, except the wrong laguage but actually I prefer English for my OS.

Next I opened (for the first time after the re-install) the Store.

Not looking at other store updates I started with installing 8.1. This time it installed! All the way, in just a few hours.

8.1, on start-up, insists on a MS account to start. Works good.

Next I set in BIOS Secure boot to Enabled and Password to None.

I am happy Smiley Happy

Won't change the language settings, will map my SD card asap to keep memory usage low.

Thank you!

• billsey

Great to hear you got it all working. I think you'll really like the 8.1 experience.

• Mordok
    Mordok Member Posts: 1 New User

After this step: 4. Go through the recovery prompts and don't stop praying until it's done!

i have problems. I tried "PCrefresh" to delete software etc. But it means, that windowd harddrive is locked.

I have to unlock it in windows, but its noch locked.

factory reset with old partition: here i get error, that partition isnt found.

factory reset with new partition: here error, that harddrive is to small for new one!

i dont know, what i should do more. please help.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

BTW there is a means to use a local account rather than a Microsoft account. When the login screen appears, click on "create new account" then on that screen at the bottom in small print is "use local account". Click on that and proceed normally.

(this should be in a FAQ somewhere).