Google Hangouts Webcam Problem

theTechnoclast
theTechnoclast Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi there, I bought an Iconia W4-820 this week primarily so I can use Google Hangouts while on the go. Reviews of the W4 on tech blogs out there have said that the cameras work perfectly fine on Hangouts.

"The front-facing camera is something of a different matter, lowering the megapixel count to two, which is adequate for Skype sessions or Google Hangouts but little else." - Techradar.

The webcam on the W4 is perfectly fine on pretty much all of the "standard" camera & video chat apps available but on Google Hangouts is where it draws the line it seems.

^ This is the video output the webcam gives me on Google Hangouts. On the plus side, you can even switch to the rear camera but you also get the same sort of video bug.

I understand that Hangouts is not the most popular video conference solution out there, so it may have been overlooked. On both the Asus Transformer T100 and this Iconia W4, both webcams on Google Hangouts won't work unless you disable HD on the video quality settings of Hangouts. (Just in case you wanted to test this on your own, you click the "signal" button on the top bar.)

However on the Asus, as soon as you lower the quality to 3/4 bars, the webcam works as intended. On the Iconia W4, you get that green bug line. (I think the layers of Red/Green/Blue are not aligned and thus giving us the bug.)

All my drivers are up to date and my Windows 8.1 is as well. No other app was using the camera at the time. The problem is still there regardless of what setting or browser I change or use so I'm willing to bet this is not an isolated case. Would love you guys to try this out for yourself as well to see it.

I'm hoping that calling out to the community sheds some light on this issue and hope that we could get some help for this. Thanks very much!

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer

If you haven't already, point it out to Google. I'm guessing it's a bug at their end, not correctly handling the HD resolutions. If it were a bug in the tablets camera or drivers it would show up with other applications as well.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
This discussion has been closed.