Externall DVD Drive for W3-810-1600

amurphy98
amurphy98 Member Posts: 1 New User

Will  the W3-810-1600 power an external DVD drive? I want to reinstall Windows from my recovery disc. What's a decent DVD drive to purchase?

Best Answer

• Leonid
    Leonid Member Posts: 121 Troubleshooter
    Answer ✓

Hello amurphy98,

I got an Asus DVD drive from ebay. It has worked fine for me. I already had a powered USB hub so that is what I used. You may get by without the powered hub but, it is recommended to use one. Especially doing something that important. One small power error and you could brick the whole thing. Also Acer has a WIN 8.1 recovery disk via support dept.

Asus External Slim DVD-RW USB drive - Brand New! (SDRW-08D2S-U)  ebay $22

Ativa® Mobil-IT USB 2.0 4-Port Desktop Hub "w/ power adapter"  Staples $17

Answers

• Leonid
    Leonid Member Posts: 121 Troubleshooter
    Answer ✓

Hello amurphy98,

I got an Asus DVD drive from ebay. It has worked fine for me. I already had a powered USB hub so that is what I used. You may get by without the powered hub but, it is recommended to use one. Especially doing something that important. One small power error and you could brick the whole thing. Also Acer has a WIN 8.1 recovery disk via support dept.

Asus External Slim DVD-RW USB drive - Brand New! (SDRW-08D2S-U)  ebay $22

Ativa® Mobil-IT USB 2.0 4-Port Desktop Hub "w/ power adapter"  Staples $17

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

I agree with our favorite meteor shower... Smiley Happy Though the tablet might power an external drive, it's going to be a lot more reliable if you use external power, and a powered hub is one of the best ways to provide that power. You could also use the hub to power an external drive or pretty much anything else that wants more than the tablet is going to want to provide. If you're going to be using the drive all the time (for videos or music) I'd get setup to put the data on a thumb drive. I'll be a lot more portable!

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
This discussion has been closed.