Air bubbles in display W700

atomickarma
atomickarma Member Posts: 8 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

A few weeks ago I noticed what I thought was a pixel-related artifact, but on closer inspection it looked more like a chip. As I don't often use the tablet display - I usually rely on the HDMI out to a large monitor - I have no idea how long this has been present. Additionally it is is positioned in the lower right corner above the Windows system tray.

Further investigation - prompted by the appearance of what appears to be an air bubble in the upper right area of the tablet - reveals that the original artifact is also an air bubble. I've achieved some manipulation of its shape to confirm this.

Has anyone else come across his problem? Does anyone have a solution, or do I need to return my tablet?

Thanks,

Christian

Answers

• jason2234
    jason2234 Member Posts: 85 Troubleshooter

Nothing on mine which i've had for about 6 months

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

I can't imagine that being fixed without a return of the tablet. I expect they will replace tge screen. Make sure you have a good backup of your user data and contact Acer for the replacement procedure.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • atomickarma

Thought as much billsey, cheers.

Unfortunately my tab is my only PC, and I'm a freelance writer so I'm kind of squeezed - if I return it I'll end up with just a Raspberry Pi for work!

Tough call...

• atomickarma

Cheers Jason. Mine arrived in February so is probably around the same age as yours. Definitely didn't have the air bubbles then as it was photographed extensively for a review.

• BP_Broadmeadow
    BP_Broadmeadow Member Posts: 2 New User

I just noticed an air bubble within my screen as well.  Again, I thought it was a chip or smudge on the screen but on closer inspection and manipulation, it's clearly an air bubble.

Did you have any luck replacing your screen?

• soccnut
    soccnut Member Posts: 3 New User

I also have an air bubble on mine near the taskbar area. At first, it was a tiny one which was tolerable, but over time, it has merged with with surrounding bubbles and has started to become quite large and unsightly. I have attached a picture, there are 2 large bubbles below the "ENG" tab and a tiny one to the left of those 2.

Has anyone managed to get it rectified?

IMG_20131016_110621.jpg 

• exscentric
    exscentric Member Posts: 78 Troubleshooter

d

just some thoughts.   Does applying pressure at the edge of the bubble change the bubble?

could it be moisture getting between things?

• soccnut

in my case. nope. Applying pressure causes the screen to flex slightly. Bubbles remain same size and shape. I do live in a country with high humidity but have never experienced bubbles forming on my monitors, phone screen, tv and so on.

• exscentric

I'd guess something is separating, if in warranty call acer right away.  If out of warranty I'd write them a letter/call and see if they might do something about it.

The only other thing, you might try a hair dryer along the edge and see if it changes.  Be careful and not get it too hot.  Leaving it by a furnace vent would also work.  Doubt it is moisture though as I would think it would change with a little pressure as well.

Bummer whatever it is.

• BP_Broadmeadow
    BP_Broadmeadow Member Posts: 2 New User

FWIW, the air bubbles have grown larger on the screen.  I called Acer, and they said it's a problem covered by warranty.  I'm debating if I should send it in.  Has any sent in their tablet for warranty? If so, what was your time frame like?

• exscentric

Do not know about acer but some send a reconditioned one so it is quick, you sould be able to get an estimate from them.  I'd guess it may well get worse as well so personally I 'd get it fixed.  Maybe one of the acer folks here will give you some idea.

• Ethos
    Ethos Member Posts: 160 Troubleshooter

omg warranty straight away !!

• soccnut

Update:

I filed a case with Acer support and was instructed to bring it down to the service center for repairs.

I took it down yesterday afternoon and was told to come collect it today afternoon. Have just collected it, they have replaced the entire LCD module.

Since the unit is under warranty, I didnt have to pay a single cent.

Kudos to Acer.

• exscentric

Fantastic!

• Ismetovic
    Ismetovic Member Posts: 1 New User

I have same problem here, seems like it is Acer screen typical problem... dissapointing Smiley SadIMG_20140304_075812.jpg

• ptrkhh
    ptrkhh Member Posts: 72 Troubleshooter

I also had one near the Start button (Windows 8.1), but it disappeared somehow after 3-4 months. Try putting the tablet inside rice like how you recover a wet phone, it should help theoritically

• marcie
    marcie Member Posts: 2 New User

20140424_144147.jpgbottom left of the screen has air bubbles which are getting bigger, sent an email to acer today, anyone had any success in the uk with returns or replacements? Its shocking really they should recall them Its clearly a w700 specific fault. 

• gladminds
    gladminds Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have the same problem, have contacted Acer about this due to mine being out of warranty and they advised I would have to pay to get the tablet delivered to acer, they would then quote me for replacement and then I would to decide if I wanted the item fixed.
    The bubbles on the screen move about and differ in size constantly, for such an expensive item it is quite annoying.
    And now it seems like I'm not alone with this fault, surely Acer should do a recall?!?

A replacement digitiser screen through amazon is about £57, I would attempt it myself but am not confident enough to remove the org digitiser layer.. Anyone attempted that?
  • marcie
    marcie Member Posts: 2 New User

They should recall them for the same problem i agree, perhaps if we point them to this forum they could do something about it. Acer if you read this please give us a response. Ps, everyone post pictures of your problem.

• Rench
    Rench Member Posts: 1 New User

Same problem for me I just realised what they are and havacer bubbles.jpge probably just gone out of warrenty -so am guessing its going to coat a bit to fix? others experience?