Acer Iconia w510 micro usb or USB charger adapter ?

ahlnhl
ahlnhl Member Posts: 1 New User
edited October 2023 in 2018 Archives

Hi 

the device only comes with a wall charger.  so is has anyone found a micro USB cable that will charge the w510 ?

Answers

• whiskey
    whiskey Member Posts: 32

Tinkerer

ahlnhl wrote:

Hi 

the device only comes with a wall charger.  so is has anyone found a micro USB cable that will charge the w510 ?

No, not possible to charge this PC from its USB ports.  For ther very same reason you should not expect your laptop of desktop PC to be fed power from their peripheral USB ports.

You have a separate power port. 

You may be able to hack together an interface that plugs into the dock/power port at one end and a USB male plug at the other with the pins just for power, but then you must find a suitable power adapter that can supply enough amps to feed wha this PC expects, and that is higher than the standard USB feed of 5 amps.

• WEMdotDK
    WEMdotDK Member Posts: 1 New User

Anybody tried above solution? With the Asus EEE USB cable?

• Damreal
    Damreal Member Posts: 123 New User

I was actually thinking that if someone spliced the wall charger ..in half !  Used the  port part and joined it to a usb end ..wonder if it woudl charger than via USB ???

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Well plug the wall wart for a 510 into the USB port and something will both void your warrenty and let the smoke out.

Why do people have trouble with USB being 5v and the W3/W510 need 12 ? In lay terms the gozinta gotta eual the gozouta.

• Damreal
    Damreal Member Posts: 123 New User

USB 2.0 ports rated at 500mA and dedicated charging ports which range all the way up to 2100mA.  Apple’s iPad charger, for example, provides 2.1A at 5V; Amazon’s Kindle Fire charger outputs 1.8; and car chargers can output anything from 1A to 2.1A.

Any usb 2.0 newer or 3.0 should be able to handle 12 volts than I 'm just stating if you took the port that you plug in the tablet and souldered it to a usb cord 2.0 or 3.0 should power it fine because there are 12 volt usb/car port charging adapter you buy for a couple of bucks from an radio shack or The Source

• padgett

Well I suggest you try it and let us know what happens. I'll use the normal charging ports. In a car it is important if you connect to the 12v directly to put a good filter regulator in the line. I have seen 200V surges in automobile electrical sysyems  before (often happens when someone does not know how to jump start another car).

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer

Damreal wrote:

USB 2.0 ports rated at 500mA and dedicated charging ports which range all the way up to 2100mA.  Apple’s iPad charger, for example, provides 2.1A at 5V; Amazon’s Kindle Fire charger outputs 1.8; and car chargers can output anything from 1A to 2.1A.

Any usb 2.0 newer or 3.0 should be able to handle 12 volts than I 'm just stating if you took the port that you plug in the tablet and souldered it to a usb cord 2.0 or 3.0 should power it fine because there are 12 volt usb/car port charging adapter you buy for a couple of bucks from an radio shack or The Source

You are confusing voltage and amperage there. The first three examples are all amperage, 1A through 2.1A are all still at 5V.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • octav4u
    octav4u Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi...please can you post here where you find an car charger for w510 !!  A link or how you do it .... it is verry important also for me ....i spent a lot of time in the car and i need this charger ...thx 

• padgett

I think he is talking about one of these. I have a 140W one. That way you can use the original charger as a power filter. I would not want to connect a 12v tablet directly to an automotive 12v system. Too many surges and to much noise.

• jmorgando
    jmorgando Member Posts: 18 New User

yes I have one from BoxWave it is a micro USB car charger for Iconia W510......

Their SKU#: bw-233-4683-2681

Item: micro USB

I hope this helps....

Jim

• psgny
    psgny Member Posts: 1 New User

It appears that the power connector is unique to Iconia W510 and 511. Has anyone found a 3rd party adapter or connector which will work? How does anyone charge their tablet in the car?

• padgett

When on 12v, I find one of these very useful.

• padgett

If you find adifference between my post of 2013 and the current one, let's just say I have a number of inverters.

• rfraikin
    rfraikin Member Posts: 8 New User

Here is a customer's feedback to ACER:

As the ACER is powered by a 12V battery, I find incredible that ACER does not sell a 12V Car adapter, forcing the users to double convert from 12V DC => 220V AC => 12V DC Man Sad

Also, in my opinion, commercial non monopolistic laws should forbid constructors to use unique design for the power supply connector. This is especially true in this case: the connector is unique to the W510 or W511, which will obviously have a limited selling period!

I will definitely discard such design next time I buy a computer/tablet/phone.

• cjix
    cjix Member Posts: 1 New User
    Aeon said:

no not from the micro usb but as I explained I'm betting the data port to USB would charge this tablet just fine. From what I read here and other posts people are just looking for an alternative to the wall plug portion. Asus has a cable that does serial port to your device and full sized usb at the other end. They sell 6 to 10ft variations on ebay of this cord.

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Charger-Cable-EeePad-TF101/dp/B007GJR7GS

Does this charger indeed fit the Acer Iconia Tab W510 W510P?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Nope. you need the stock charger or an equivalent replacement. As stated above, the charger is 12V, USB ports only have 5V.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
This discussion has been closed.