Let's Get Social!

Ask our members for help or assist others.
You are all welcome at Acer Community!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acer Iconia W510 won't boot after recovery

SOLVED
Troubleshooter

Hello! My tablet was experiencing some problems and I wanted to recover it using the recovery media. Everything was going just fine during the recovery process, until it got to the step Installing cleanup 52/53. I left it running and after about 12 hours I got back home and saw it was restarting, but it seemed to be stuck there, so I hold the power button down to shut it down and turn it back on. But when I turned it back on, an error message came Your pc needs to be repaired. The operating system couldn't be loaded, because the system registry file is missing. You can use recovery media... But the recovery media apparently couldnt do anything, this error appears everytime after the acer logo. Please help!!! Smiley Sad
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Troubleshooter

Re: Acer Iconia W510 won't boot after recovery

So I eventually succeeded in recovering my tablet despite some forced turns off-s and turn back on-s which I had to do during the process, since it stuck several times. But now everything's running really slowly, for example Internet explorer won't start at all, task manager either or after at least 30 secs - 1 minute... The first time after the recovery it connected to the wifi, but because it was slowly I restarted it. Then it lost the wifi connection, said there were no wifi networks available. Restarted it again, this time it started to scan the C drive, got to 1℅, then turned off. Can someone please tell me what is the reason for all this and how can I fix it? Smiley Sad
13 REPLIES
ACE Pioneer

Hi,
Sorry that you were not able to complete the recovery,. this could be of 2 reasons,. 1: Recovery media is corrupted or damaged(as its a DVD Disc) or 2: HDD failing,. So you may try again with the same recovery media, & that most of the times will work

If i was helpful, a KUDOS would be appreciated, Mark "Accept as Solution" if your issue was Answered.
Note: While I am an Acer Employee / Contracted Employee, My contribution to Acer Community is my own and I'm NOT Representative of Acer or its views.

Troubleshooter

Hi again. I tried it again and it worked. The problem was that somehow the BIOS didn't detect anymore that the CD was in the external drive. After reconnecting the drive again, it was detected right. So now I am in the recovery process again and it is right at the same step - installing cleanup. What comes after that step? Is the machine restarting and how long does it take? Maybe it was normal to be stuck there and I shouldn't have forced the turn off yesterday?
ACE Pioneer

Have found that sometimes Windows just goes away aand hides for hours at a time. You used to be able to check the drive light for activity or liten to the disk heads move but they fixed that.

Luggable, 1983
My first PC
Please: Make a recovery drive
and store a full system image offline
before upgrading.
Highlighted
Troubleshooter

So I eventually succeeded in recovering my tablet despite some forced turns off-s and turn back on-s which I had to do during the process, since it stuck several times. But now everything's running really slowly, for example Internet explorer won't start at all, task manager either or after at least 30 secs - 1 minute... The first time after the recovery it connected to the wifi, but because it was slowly I restarted it. Then it lost the wifi connection, said there were no wifi networks available. Restarted it again, this time it started to scan the C drive, got to 1℅, then turned off. Can someone please tell me what is the reason for all this and how can I fix it? Smiley Sad
ACE Pioneer

Task Manager (right click in tray) can tell you exactly where the load is. Click once or twice on CPU in Processes to rank in order of load. Make sure to click the check box  on "Show processes from all users".

Normally a quiet machine with little load will be 85-95% on System Idle Process.

Also look under Performance and you should have about a GB under Physical Memory > Available.

At the bottom I'd expect CPU Usage to be under 20% (might be as little as 0%) and Physical Memory around 50%

Luggable, 1983
My first PC
before upgrading.
Troubleshooter

Thank you and yes, I'm aware of that. However, I don't see anything suspicious in my processes' percentage. The problems I mentioned above are somehow resolved now, by themselves (thank God), but an annoying problem keeps driving me crazy - as I surf the internet( no matter if on IE or Chrome) all of a sudden the tablet lags and does not react on any command such as ctrl+alt+dell or something. All I can do is force shut down and then start surfing again until it lags again and so on... Also I am almost sure that happens not only when surfing, but with just interacting with anything on the tablet. Any ideas?
ACE Pioneer

Sometime a script just hangs. Have you tried disabling all plugins ?

Luggable, 1983
My first PC
before upgrading.
Troubleshooter

Yes, I tried. No difference Smiley Sad
Troubleshooter

It doesn't have anything to do with internet, it doesn't matter what I am doing on the tablet. For example, I start it, it loads completely, I leave it on for a couple of minutes and when I come back to it, the screen is black, just like as it were in sleep mode, but then no interaction can wake up the screen. So the only option is again the force shut down one...
Announcements
Aspire GX Series

GIVE YOURSELF AN EDGE

New Here?

New to Acer Community?

Register to get all the benefits of being a member! Get social and introduce yourself in our Welcome Forum, or learn about our ACE Program and What's Happening at Acer.

Assistance by Acer