Acer Iconia W3-810 factory setting

Options
jamesbotkk
jamesbotkk Member Posts: 7 New User

I have tryed to reinstall Windows 8 into my acer Iconia W3-810 tablet, using eRecovery CDs. However, After it reboots, the screen asks to wait, saying, "Instaling Intel Platform Drivers Installer Intel Platform Drivers... 5/59". It is never progresed. It stays forever. I repeated all the steps but it stopd again, saying "instaling------". It stays as it is. What is wrong???? Any thought???

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

Will it boot as is ? If so you can download the Intel drivers from Acer and install seperately.

• jamesbotkk
    Options

The probelm is that after rebooting, the installer starts right away. There is no stop.

• jamesbotkk
    Options

this still continues. Do not progress.

acer.JPG

• aleunge
    aleunge Member Posts: 51 Troubleshooter
    Options
    Did you ever figure this out? I'm stuck at the same place and can't do anything at all. Would appreciate some help... Big thanks!
  • jond76
    jond76 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I'm stuck here too. It's really depressing that this is the only result talking about this problem in a google/bing search.  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

• wvillanueva
    wvillanueva Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

I'm getting slightly ahead of this and the tablet stalls.  This is frustrating because I bought the tablet, the install was borked, I spent $20 to get the recover disks because of course it didn't come with them.  After I got the disks, I performed the recovery (1st option, the 2nd option was not available because I could not wipe the drive).  After the long install Windows 8 boots, gets here and stops.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do because returning the tablet is going to be very difficult.  This is prety much a disaster.  I reallly can't believe this is happening, money is tight but I stretched to get my brother a cool graduation gift.

acer.jpg

• aleunge
    Options

I've tried quite a few things to no avail.  Used an OEM Windows 8 install disk to format drive completely (cleared partitions) before restoring, still stuck at the same spot.  Used Win 8 recovery tool/command prompt to try and stop automatic driver setup installation on boot up and still no go.  It's going back to Acer for warranty...

I just have no confidence for restoring next time when it's out of warranty.  Although the recovery process is much easier on the W4, having just bought that, I'm still worried.  Why Acer, why?

Sorry I couldn't help guys... hope you figure out a way if it's already out of warranty.

• wvillanueva
    Options

I've tried reinstalling at least 8 times with various combinations of disconnecting all devices when the tablet starts windows up for the first time, trying to boot into safe mode and find the trigger that is causing the driver install.  Looks like I spent a wad of cash on a brick.  No warranty since I bought it refurb.

• aleunge
    Options

You could still get a full Windows 8 disk and install it on the W3... although that's only really feasible if you have one lying around (or perhaps a trial) since purchasing a license isn't exactly cheap.  Or perhaps get it serviced and use third party software to back it up before using it, which is what I'm planning on doing because of the hassle this time.  Good luck Smiley Frustrated

• wvillanueva
    Options

Well after writing my message I was super frustrated so I went back to the tablet.  I can't seem to boot off of a USB key which is a bummer, I tried a Linux Live USB stick and a Windows 8 installer.  I then found out that I can get into Safe Mode.

1. With the driver install hung on the screen press Ctl+Alt+Delete on your USB keyboard
    2. Click the power icon in the lower right
    3. Hold shift and click restart

You'll then be presented with some options.  I choose safe mode with command prompt.  After this I got into safe mode and found the acer driver installer under the Start Up Applications in Task Manager.  (I saw 2 things in start up).  I disabled the Acer item hoping it would stop the install on startup but all it did was cause the tablet to boot, start windows, show the login screen for a second, the "Wait 2 Min" green screen and then the tablet would reboot.  This went over and over.  

My last attempt last night was to boot into safe mode and run the driver package that you can download from the support site but the installer bombs out right when you start the install with an error that says "Invalid String ID" or something of that nature.

If anyone knows how to get the tablet from restarting after killing that start up item, I think we could then install the drivers by hand.

• aleunge
    Options

Hmm.. that's weird.  I was able to boot up off a few Win 8 USBs without issue.  That's how I cleared the partitions so I can use Acer to do a complete restore (including Acer partitions).. that didn't work anyway though.

I've also tried command prompt in recovery to attempt deleting of the auto setup file in the Acer recovery partition (dSmiley Happy.  I looked in c: and it doesn't look like it resides there (d drive has a lot more stuff).  But note though, I think the auto setup progam is deeply integrated into the OS.  Without it automatically starting, you won't be able to log in to the temp admin account (locked) that is created for Acer recovery program to install drivers and setup the tablet.

Also interesting you got into safe mode.  I couldn't as I get a pop up saying Acer can't finish setting up in safe mode and then I can't do anything else.

Sigh.

• aleunge
    Options

Just an update on my recovery issue, Acer returned the W3 after warranty repairs and it looks like they've replaced the motherboard (and reloaded the OS of course).  I've always thought it was a software issue, mainly due to the fact that the W3 originally does not have any method of recovery other than from the set of disks from Acer (which seem to have issues).

What I noticed from the fixed/updated W3 is that now it is a lot like the W4 as it comes with a proper recovery partition (8GB space lost).  On top of that, it also has Acer Recovery Management software installed, which can create USB recovery drives as well as backup Acer software (i.e. Acer Recovery Management which isn't available from the W3 download page).  The free space now is a lowly 4GB but unlike the original W3, which has more space, I am now not worried about resetting the computer in the future.

Good fix from Acer overall... just wish it was like this to begin with.

• wvillanueva
    Options

That's awesome that you got it fixed.  Kudos.  I bought mine refurbished because I thought it was a good deal.  No warranty but I wasn't too worried about it.  Didn't expect it to not work when I got it.  I haven't tried anything else with the restore.  It's a big expensive brick now.  I may try the Window 8 vanilla install but I don't have a key for it.  I'm sure I'll figure that out.  I'm moving right now so I'll try once I'm packed up, moved and settled in.

• aleunge
    Options

PM-ed you.  Check your messages, bud.

• JakeDem12
    JakeDem12 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

I am also wondering of how to do a fresh Windows 8 install for more space. 

• lookn2it
    lookn2it Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

I have the same problem with a refurbished unit. Very disappointed there is no solution to getting stuck at the 5/59 point of the software re-install, especially after purchasing the recovery disk set.

• aleunge
    Options

Hey guys, wvillanueva and I are trying to see if we have a user solution.  We'll report back when we find out.  Otherwise, the only method I've found so far is sending it to Acer for resetting.......

JakeDem12, I would hold out on reformatting if you have a working machine, although there might not be any issue for you if you restore from your DVDs since not everyone is having the same issue.  (unless your machine has a recovery partition built in, you would need to get your hands on the set of 4 Acer restore disks and run them off an external optical drive... and then good luck!)

• lookn2it
    lookn2it Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

I was able to attempt another recovery disk re-install on the w3-810 tablet. However, at the same point in the driver install (5/59) it again stalls out trying to install the Intel Drivers.

Hope you guys can come up with a solution.

• datalp
    datalp Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I believe my beloved tablet was corrupted while in sleep mode when Microsoft in it's wisdom (I never O.K.'d auto updates) forced an automatic OS (I've been 8.1 since it's release) update. The tablet was on the edge battery power wise and the update didn't complete.  Result - corrupted OS boot.  I purchased the disk set to recover the OS on advice of Acer tech support.  It doesn't work.  The tablet does see  my DVD drive and I can tell by the read light activity that the data just isn't being understood.  I must conclude then that the Acer's software isn't up to date with whatever is programed into the tablet.  Thank you Acer and thank you Microsoft.  I hope you have a jolly old time competing with Apple, Samsung, Android/Google and the rest of them out there.  Meanwhile my tablet displays "Acer" "replore beyond limits" while a circle of dots just goes round an round with the notation underneath - "Preparing Automatic Repair"..... I think not -  in my lifetime.

• aleunge
    Options

Heya datalp... the W3 has serious issues when doing restores.  A mega bummer indeed.

Without using the recovery disks, did you try booting up while pressing F8 (you'll need a USB keyboard, UTG adapter)?  Since it looks like you've past the BIOS/UEFI, there might be a chance you can boot into recovery and then use "Advance Tools" to try and fix boot up problems in Win 8.

As for using the recovery disks, I would personally only try that again if it's your very last resort.  As you can see from peeps here, lots of people get stuck during the restoring process even if you get the disks to load.  And once you get there, there's no way forward and no way back... sending it in for service is the only way.  But in any case, just to make sure, are you booting off the DVDs correctly?  You should at least be able to get into the recovery program by booting off the disks.  This is the official link the supports sent me: http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32036

Good luck Smiley Frustrated

This discussion has been closed.