Micro SD Weirdness on Alpha 12

Options
newtrishacm
newtrishacm Member Posts: 2 New User

I have a Switch Alpha 12, and I've inserted a micro SD card. It keeps popping up the file explorer for it every minute or so, which is super annoying because it interrupts whatever I'm doing, e.g. if I'm watching a video it collapses it.  It doesn't matter how many times I close it, it just keeps happening.  How do I stop this?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

Is it fully inserted and clicked into place? It sounds like it's not making good contact...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • gbardach
    gbardach Member Posts: 36

Tinkerer

Options

I have the same problem with an Alpha Switch 12: The Micro SD keeps popping up in the Windows Explorer with an annoying notification sound every few minutes. It makes the memory extension with an sd card practically useless. I inserted the card several times - the behavior does not change.

File transfer is possible - the sd card functions normally otherwise.

Please either update the card driver or the firmware. It spoils  an otherwise attractive product.

• newtrishacm
    newtrishacm Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Yeah, I turned off the notification for it, so at least it's not annoyingly popping up anymore, although it does fairly regularly drop off and pop up when looking at the drives on the Alpha.  And I did test the SD card on another device with no issues.

• gbardach

Tinkerer

Options

On examining the issue more closely I found out what really happens:

The card is unmounting and quickly mounting again and random intervals (usually 2 or 3 minutes). When this occurs you get a notification sound and the SD card entry in the file explorer vanishes shortly.

Similar problems have been described in some Microsoft Surface forums. They did not find a solution for this problem other than returning the device. People there tried all sorts of things like reformating the card, changing the card, cleaning the card slot...

I will have to send in the device too if no one finds a solution here....

• SeanHsiao
    SeanHsiao Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Have you tried to do windows update on Switch Alpha 12? seems the issue can be found after windows update

• gbardach

Tinkerer

Options

Windows 10 Home updates automatically. The card reader driver is dated with June 2006...

If you take a USB micro SD adapter and plug it in the USB slot of the Alpha 12 the device works without problems. Plug the same micro SD card in the card reader slot and you get the weird behavior described in other posts.

I sent my device to Acer for repair under warranty. Acer acknowledged a hardware problem. I hope they return the device soon.

• thellkamp
    thellkamp Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I tried this an hour aga and so far, so good. Go to the acer driver download page and download the "card reader" driver. Open the file and open the setup file and install. I then did a restart and it has seemed to work. Hpoe it works and lasts.

• gbardach

Tinkerer

Options

there is a thread on the German Acer Community where they apparently solved the problem (“

acer switch alpha 12 problem mit microSD“)

Windows 10 updates in May installed a faulty patch causing the problem. You have to uninstall this patch. However, with each automatic Windows 10 update the faulty software is reinstalled. You have to prevent Windows updating to get rid of the buggy software. There will be a remedy for this in the future.