How to reset to factory defaults for Acer Aspire Switch 10

LewisLiu
LewisLiu Member Posts: 3 New User

I bought Acer Aspire Switch 10 SW5-012-16GW Detachable 2 in 1 Touchscreen Laptop (64GB) windows 8.1 on 11/30/201 from Amazon. 

After two days, I could not get on internet anymore due to some proxy server errors. I also noticed there were many junkies installed. 

So, I would like to have a complete clean up by resetting it to factory defaults. Would much appreciate if anyone can show me the steps. The Amazon box did not come with any system CD. 

Many thanks!

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Recovering from the hard drive during startup
    1.Turn on your computer and press <Alt> + <F10> during startup. A
    screen appears asking you to choose the keyboard layout.
    2.Several options are now presented. Click Troubleshoot.
    3.Click either Refresh your PC or Reset your PC.

Note
    "Refresh your PC" enables you to restore your computer to the default factory
    condition with files intact. "Reset your PC" completely removes all your files
    and resets your computer to factory settings

Or you can use the Acer erecovery software from windows, just press windows key logo + s , then type acer erecovery, start it and choose your option.

I suggest you to do the USB recovery media, this will help you a lot in the worst cases.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

Recovering from the hard drive during startup
    1.Turn on your computer and press <Alt> + <F10> during startup. A
    screen appears asking you to choose the keyboard layout.
    2.Several options are now presented. Click Troubleshoot.
    3.Click either Refresh your PC or Reset your PC.

Note
    "Refresh your PC" enables you to restore your computer to the default factory
    condition with files intact. "Reset your PC" completely removes all your files
    and resets your computer to factory settings

Or you can use the Acer erecovery software from windows, just press windows key logo + s , then type acer erecovery, start it and choose your option.

I suggest you to do the USB recovery media, this will help you a lot in the worst cases.

• LewisLiu

IronFly,

Thank you. 

"the default factory condition" and  "factory settings" mean the same thing, right? 

At the present, my Switch 10 has

(1) Windows8.1, Microsoft Office 365 activated, and other applications installed as part of the package.

(2) I intalled Windows Essentials and a few others from the Windows Store. 

So, when I do Refresh, files of (1) and (2) will remain, right?

If I do Reset, files of (1) will remain, but files of (2) will be removed, right?

Thank you, have a nice weekend

• IronFly
    Yes, correct.
  • LewisLiu

IronFly, thank you. I did the Refresh. It worked... all the junks were removed, but I have to re-install the Microsoft Office 365 again.

Thanks

Lewis

• IronFly
    You welcome!
  • Harleylady63
    Harleylady63 Member Posts: 2 New User

I lent my ACer Tablet to my son...once I turn on the tablet, he has his photo there with a password,he won't give this to me....I need to use this tablet,how do I get this OFF of my tablet so I can get to the homepage so I CAN use this tablet??? I bought this second hand from a friend on Facebook, she erased everything she had on it,I am in a quandry now as to get past this....

• Harleylady63
    Harleylady63 Member Posts: 2 New User

I lent my ACer Tablet to my son...once I turn on the tablet, he has his photo there with a password,he won't give this to me....I need to use this tablet,how do I get this OFF of my tablet so I can get to the homepage so I CAN use this tablet??? I bought this second hand from a friend on Facebook, she erased everything he had on it,I am in a quandry now as to get past this....

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,701 Trailblazer

At the login prompt there should be (likely at bottom left of the screen) an option to sign in with a different account. Just use your account to login.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.