Acer Switch 10 from 32 bit OS to 64 bit

Dávid
Dávid Member Posts: 2 New User

hello,

I have SW05-11 model. please, is there any way how to upgrade my Windows 8.1 from 32bit to 64bit? Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects are (from CS5 and above) 64bit only...

need that for my shool projects, as i realized :/ so I´ll by VERY VERY glad if someone can help, thanks!

Best Answer

• sathya0403
    sathya0403 ACE Posts: 586 Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    Hi David,

Welcome to Acer community,. David Installing 64 Bit OS on a 32 Bit Computer is not possible as its like you are over clocking the processor,. & also trying to install one may not be a success,.

Answers

• sathya0403
    sathya0403 ACE Posts: 586 Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    Hi David,

Welcome to Acer community,. David Installing 64 Bit OS on a 32 Bit Computer is not possible as its like you are over clocking the processor,. & also trying to install one may not be a success,.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

It's fairly easy to install a 64bit version of Windows, you just have to purchase one (so you have a new CD key) and install it as a complete replacement for the 32 bit OS. The problems arise when you try to find 64bit drivers to match your hardware. Some of them just aren't available. Of critical importance are the motherboard drivers that handle cooling. Without them it's likely you'll have overheating problems. Smiley Sad

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Dávid
    Dávid Member Posts: 2 New User

guys, thanks for response. looks like adobe CS4 is my only option, but... it´s also cool Smiley Happy 

• ptrkhh
    ptrkhh Member Posts: 72 Troubleshooter

I wouldnt recommend to do that.

In fact, I dont recommend installing 64-bit Windows on anything that has less than 4 GB of RAM. Especially on a device that doesnt have a proper SSD drive, the machine will swap (pagefile) a lot, and in turn, making your tablet run really slowly.

BTW, if you intend to use such programs, why did you choose the Switch in the first place? I would recommend to get a tablet with Core i3 or faster processor, and minimum 4 GB of RAM.

I would recommend to wait for the new Core i3/i5-powered Switch 11 or the older Core i5-powered W700/W701 (dont buy the Core i3 model, it features an ancient CPU). Or tablets from other manufacturers like the Surface Pro 3.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

I have to disagree, unless you are stacking a lot, 2GB is "enough", On this machine (Win 7 64) I am currently using 1.70 GB with several directories, a couple of AV programs IE, WORD, a photo editor, task manager, and Eudora open. In my experience Win 8.1 uses a bit less.