Acer Aspire Switch 10 - USB Boot / Windows 8.1 installation from USB

Answers

• Gabrielang
    Gabrielang Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello, I'm French

I have got a same probleme but I hasen't understande how we can result. Thanks for help me.

And excuse for the langues.

Bye   

• thasatelliteguy
    thasatelliteguy Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Some things hanve changed since this old post. The main one affecting the answer being, the latest release of Windows 10 last fall changed the activation process so that you can actually install Windows 10 from scratch using your Windows 7/8 product key. This eliminates the step of having to re-install Windows 8 and upgrade/activate, then upgrade to Windows 10 and HOPE the activation carries. Now it's all automatic by using the old Windows key. I have to assume you can download a bootable disc of some kind that will retrieve the original key from BIOS without an OS installed. Or just install any version of 8 or 10 and use a utility to get it. I don't have that tablet anymore so I haven't tried this. I do not know if the new version of 10 will pull an 8 key from bios and automatically accept and activate. I only know that the new Windows 10 should do that if you type it in at installation...

• shiyasva2009
    shiyasva2009 Member Posts: 3 New User

I've found the solution, everything working fine.

To do it, you need to keep in mind two things:

1. You cannot use offical Microsoft .iso to USB program - it does not create bootable pendrive for UEFI bios, the offical Windows downloader have an option to create bootable USB from downloaded .iso, but it also isnt capable of doing so.

You have to create bootable ISO using Rufus software (simpy type rufus into google or LINK), then all you have to do is to make sure you selected GPT partition scheme for your bootable usb and FAT32 filesystem.

2. The most improtant thing is that our Acer Aspire Switch 10 supports ONLY 32bit Windows, so simply all Windows instalators which contains 64bit version are wrong. Conclusion is simple, you need only 32bit instalator, the 32bit/64bit wont work (just like only 64bit instalation which is obvious)

Hope it helped.

• shiyasva2009
    shiyasva2009 Member Posts: 3 New User
    YOUR PCRAN INTO A PROBLEM AND NEEDS TO RESTART .WE'LL RESTRT FOR U .
    IF YOU'D LIKE TO KNOW MORE , U CAN SEARCH ONLINE LATER FOR THIS ERROR:ACPI BIOS ERROR
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,469 Trailblazer
    @shiyasva2009 Your s1003's efi and system partitions seem to have been corrupted by attempting install both Win8.1 & a Linux distro. You need to try to reset your machine to a factory-fresh Win10 state if the hidden ACER Win10 recovery partition is still intact. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• shiyasva2009 said: YOUR PCRAN INTO A PROBLEM AND NEEDS TO RESTART .WE'LL RESTRT FOR U .
    IF YOU'D LIKE TO KNOW MORE , U CAN SEARCH ONLINE LATER FOR THIS ERROR:ACPI BIOS ERROR I saw your message! Did you try the procedure with the tablet connected to the keyboard and the power adapter?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • SamNawi
    SamNawi Member Posts: 1 New User
    Sorry bumping this old post, 
    But hopefully I can help others who came from Google Search.
    This solution work for me..
    The secret to getting Windows 10 on this device is to boot with an OTG USB adapter. USB from the keyboard doesn't work. I pulled my hair out for quite a while before I tried an OTG micro USB adapter directly in the tablet and not standard USB in the keyboard port. Still need to use RUFUS to create a GPT patirion scheme for UEFI computer, formatted for FAT32 along with a 32-bit version of Windows 10. 

Taken from here 

Solution is easy: Just put your USB Boot Drive on Tablet (not Keyboard USB slot). And this is screenshot from RUFUS (cereful read tha partition format as sugested), I am able to re-install the OS now.

Thank You

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,469 Trailblazer
    @SamNawi  Thanks for reporting your discovery! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• NoLimit
    NoLimit Member Posts: 8 New User
    Hello everyone,
    I bought this laptop a few weeks ago and decided to reinstall it. But unfortunately it didn't go well. First of all I am trying  to install it from sd card. I don't know if this is a problem, I don't think so. However I wrote a windows 10 32 bit on in with Rufus, with GPT partition scheme and FAT32 filesystem, but it still does not find my device. I tried flash drive also but reseult was the same. I tied to remove secury boot with no succeed. So my questins now are two. First is how to  install a windows on the laptop successfully. And the second one is how to remove the password in the bios, becous i had to set one. Acer had a software called Acer Empowering Technology with Acer eSettings Management but I am not sure if it is compatible with this device. 

PS: I also read that if I press and hold the window key on the tablel while it is loading it shoud reset the bios to default settings, any thoughts about that?

Thanks in advanced!
  • @NoLimit Have you converted the pendrive to gpt so?

Have you turned off fastboot in bios?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • NoLimit
    edited February 2019
    egydiocoelho Hello I dont know waht that means and how to convert the pendrive, please help
  • NoLimit
    Well if I understand right it should be converted?
  • The current notebooks and tablets do not come with bios, but with uefi firmware! To install an operating system in uefi mode, you should convert the pendrive to gpt and format it in fat32!
    In notebooks, uefi is programmed to accept only the 64bit operating system! On tablets, uefi only accepts 32-bit operating systems only!
    You must also disable fast booting on bios and create a password in setsupervisorpassword to disable secureboot if you have this option!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• NoLimit
    Well, Under Rufus I selected GPT and FAT 32, and in bios (uefi firmware) set security mode to disable, but I dont find fast boot as a option. Neither sd car nor the flash show up when I press F12, what am I doing wrong?

PS: In a video i have watched, the man was pressing space + enter and it booted?

• Please tell the exact model of your notebook or tablet first? Example an515-51-75kz

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• NoLimit
    SW5-012-13M7
  • NoLimit
    I have just found this as a solution
    1. Go to BIOS settings with F2
    2. Add the .efi file to the trusted UEFI files by selecting it and naming the option to whatever you want.
    3. Enable F12 boot menu.
    4. Exit saving changes.
    5. Tap F12 until you get boot menu.
    6. You will see your boot option there.
    But I do not undertant what does that "Add the .efi file to the trusted UEFI files by selecting it and naming the option to whatever you want." means and how to do that
  • Your notebook came with windows 8.1 x64, correct? https://www.acer-shop.sk/acer-aspire-switch-10-sw5-012-13m7-ntl6jec005
    First, it is important to clarify that most notebooks do not support a boot from the memory card. You should convert the pendrive to gpt and format it in fat32 and then download an iso only x64! See this file:
    I think fastboot is even here:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• NoLimit
    I am not sure, I bought it with Windows 10 Home 32bit. The procesor can not support more than 2GB of ram, so I do not see a point of 64 bit Windows. Also I don't have this advanced option in my uefi firmware, it looks like something like that
  • What is the version bios? have you created a password in setsupervisorpassword to disable secureboot?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer