upgrading Acer Aspire One D250 to Win 8 Pro - HDD issues

John_Easton
John_Easton Member Posts: 1 New User

I need some advice about upgrading my Acer Aspire One D250-0BQr (SNID 94615284316, now with 2GB ram) from the original dual boot Windows XP Home (with SP3) / Android set up to a Windows 8 Pro only OS (newly purchased upgrade DVD). The problem appears to be with the hard drive, but I’m not convinced that’s where the issue actually lies.

I had chosen not to keep any files with the upgrade, so this should have been a (nearly) clean install. The upgrade procedure failed with the ubiquitous “there is a problem” error and now the install won’t start over or continue beyond that point when I restart from the Win 8 DVD.

The BIOS (the original InsydeHO2 v1.22 Intel V1585) does still see the hard drive (the original Seagate Momentus 5400.6 SATA ST9160314AS), but it doesn’t list the drive when I go on to try a custom install (which I believe I should be able to do, even with an upgrade disk). Running diskpart during the install tells me that “There are no fixed disks to show”.

I removed the HDD and tethered it to a Win 7 PC where I ran Seagate’s SeaTools diagnostic and repair utility, and then ran Checkdisk. Everything appears to be fine. The Disk Management utility on that PC tells me that its 149.05 GB is partitioned as, 10.GB Healthy OEM, 135GB NTFS Healthy Primary Partition, and 4.04GB Unallocated (presumably where Android used to reside?).

I have tried the custom install again using the new Crucial MX200 250GB SSD that I had intended to port the upgraded OS to subsequently, having initialised that first using the other PC (showing 232.88GB NTFS Healthy Primary Partition), but the Win 8 install doesn’t list that disk either, and diskpart also doesn’t show it.

I had thought about a BIOS upgrade (to Acer’s v1.29?), but I’m not convinced that is the problem, since the current BIOS does see the HDD.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

I am not an IT professional by the way, only a novice PC hobbyist. So be gentle, and keep it as simple as you can.

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

John_Easton,

I think you're going to have to get a working (and activated) operating system on your computer again...i.e. windows xp or windows vista or windows 7 so you can use your upgrade dvd.  Since you have the "upgrade only" version of Windows 8 pro, I don't think you can do a clean install of windows 8 pro on your ssd.  If you can install your windows xp recovery discs on that ssd, then I think you can use your winpro upgrade dvd.

I'm assuming that you have the "upgrade only" version of windows 8 pro.  Maybe that's not the case and you have full version of windows 8 pro????  Please post if you really have full version of win8pro, and it will be an easy fix.

Don't be afraid to call (or chat) microsoft either.  They are very  helpful with things like this.  You can just explain the situation and I'm sure they could probably give you good advice or resolve it. Anyway, that's what I would do....call microsoft.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JordanB

I forgot to mention....

I wouldn't put that SSD in your other PC to try to install windows if you plan to put it back in to your Acer because it might complicate things.  The crucial mx200 has opal and it might..........

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/sed-edrive-unprovisioning/87148920-e749-4e8a-b674-d8d8d551981d?auth=1

Edit: So if you want to put the SSD back in to an uninitialized state (which is probably best) and put in your acer computer to try to install, you can follow this.

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/The-Cru/Reset-your-SSD-to-factory-settings-Windows-DiskPart/ba-p/162503

And then I would call Microsoft and explain the situation and ask them if you can get a generic key to install windows 8.1 pro and use your win8pro key (that you bought).  The worst they could say is no.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

• JordanB

Did you get it working?  If you're having trouble getting your computer to see the mx200, you may have to contact crucial....and they can advise you with troubleshooting steps or guide you on how to update the mx200 firmware (if necessary).

I didn't try to initialize the drive on a different computer.  I just kept using diskpart clean and powering down computer and removing SSD's power cable. But this was on a desktop which was much easier than doing that on a laptop. You may initially have to connect to a USB-SATA adapter and connect to different computer to use diskpart clean.  From there, you can try to install in your laptop.  It's ok to connect an uninitialized SSD to your laptop's sata cable.

The very first time that I connected my crucial bx100, I had trouble getting it to initialize properly too.  But since then it has worked flawlessly.  And I have installed that same model on other acer computers and didn't have nary a problem.