my just got her brothers laptop who just pasted away and he had a password on in it

Options
cloudstrife0041
cloudstrife0041 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

me and my wife just went down to go thru her brothers place who passed away and he had a laptop well when we got home she went in to see what was on it but he had a password on it so we cant get into and we dont want to factory restore cause we want to see if there is anything important on it. We need help to reset the password and get into the laptop can u help me please

Answers

• GuruAid-CS
    GuruAid-CS Member Posts: 467 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

If you have forgotten your password, you can reset the password with Command Prompt in safe mode. Below are the steps:
    1. Boot or Reboot your laptop and press F8 to enter Advanced Boot Options or press CTRL to enter Advanced Boot Options when computer power on.
    2. Choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt in the screen, and press Enter.

There are three options, Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking and Safe Mode with Command Prompt. In order to reset Windows user password with command prompt, select Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

3. Wait for Windows to load files until Windows login screen comes out.
    4. Log in with an administrator account until you see login screen.
    5. A Command Prompt appears. Type 'net user' in the Command Prompt and press Enter.

Windows user account names will be listed for you in the Command Prompt screen.

6. Type 'net user name 123' and hit Enter, where 'name' is your locked Windows user account name and '123' is the new password you want to reset for the locked account.
    7. The new password has been successfully reset when the command is completed successfully.
    8. Log on your laptop with the new password.

• cloudstrife0041
    cloudstrife0041 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

did not work