How to update the factory default recovery partition with another image?

emeak
emeak Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi,

I've recently upgraded my Aspire E1-571 from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 after a few issues.

Now what I would like to do is make a recovery image of my Windows 8.1 system as it stands but I'd like to replace the current factory default backup on the recovery partition of the hard drive. I don't see the point of keeping it as Winwod 8 stinks and I have my laptop running Win 8.1 fine. I will be upgrading to Win 10. This is just an interim step.
The Acer Recovery Environment only allow me to create a recovery backup onto an external drive. As far as i can see there is no option to replace the factory default Win8 image. 

I also notice that my drive (thru disk managment) has 5 partitions as follows;

400MB recovery partition

390MB recovery partition

350MB UEFI pertition

480GB system Win 8.1 partition

15.8GB recovery partition.

This is how the machine came from Acer. I have not created any partitions.

Disk.partitions.jpgWhy is there so many "recovery partitions"?

I notice the recovery partitions are all empty (see screenshot) which is strange.. but anyway maybe someone can shed light on that as well.

Obviously the UEFI, Win 8.1 is for the system

15.8GB recovery is for the image.

So can someone suggest how I can create a backup recovery image, update/replace the existing factory image so that it will still work with Acer's Recovery environment.

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

there are 2 recovery partitions, since one was related to windows 8 and one is for windows 8.1

i don't have experience on "how to update" the acer recovery partition and i can't remember anyone to have it done.

side note: if your HDD will ever die (fingers crossing), you will loose the recovery partition too and without a proper bootable media, you will not able to install or recover your system

in my opinion, the best solution, will be a system image of your actual HDD, then wipe the HDD and do a clean windows 10 installation, so you will have less partitions and more free storage space.

once did the windows 10 clean installation and installed all the drivers and your personal programs, do another system image and you will be safe.

windows 10 media creation:

http://community.acer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Windows-10-Installation-Recovery-Media-Creation-and-Use/ta-p/394236

how to create a system image:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-7/

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • emeak

Thanks for you reply ironFly.

Then purpose of creating a system recovery partition was for convenience. if something happens to your systems, it's there with you. No need to try and find an external drive where you stored it etc.... 

I understand you point about hard drive failure, and I agree an external system backup should be done and I'll also so that.
    Now about your point on Windows 10.

Can I do a clean install of Windows 10 my laptop that hasn't had the free upgrade yet?

I thought you have upgrade to get Windows 10 for free and then later you can do a "clean" install?  Not sure if this is correct? So lloking for advice here also.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Abouy windows 10, it was the correct procedure, until the november update; now you can clean install (without doong an uograde first) since windows 10 will read the product key from the BIOS and then it will authenticate automatically.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • emeak

I managed to upgrade my acer E1-571 to Windows 10. everything seems to work well. I created a hard drive image of both with current Windows 10 setup as well as Windows 8.1 state. So I'm well covered for any failures.

In regards to a clean install of Windows 10, what about drivers and apps. where can I get a install package to install the drivers once I clean install Windows10? The upgrade preserves the ACER apps but a clean install won't.

My laptop has the ACER recovery management app installed (factory) which is also now running on Windows10. It can save drivers and apps to DVD which is great but i need this app to restore the drivers and apps. So, If I do a clean install, I need to install the ACER recovery management app. So where can I find a copy of the ACER recovery managment app to install after I've clean installed Windows10?

Or is there another way for save drivers and apps in Windows10 without using the ACER recovery management app.

• emeak

Oh, BTW, there's a OEM folder on the C: drive which i believe contains factory default drivers and apps. Can anyone confirm? Also, can someone provide some info on where things are located within this folder?