Can I have some help or info on doing a Repair of Windows 8 with my ACER cd pack?

Options
vankjeff
vankjeff Member Posts: 24 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

My Aspire ZC-102 All-in-One is still under Warranty for another month and it is completely lost at times but at other times it is totally good. There are times when I click an icon to start a program and it doesn't happen for a few minutes. The same happens all the time when I'm typing, especially into something on Facebook on Internet Explorer 11. I have max 16 RAM in it and it is Win 8.1 now.

I run McAfee full time and Malwarebytes PRO scans daily and runs in the background. I run cCleaner at startup. I've defragged plenty.
I've asked for help over at Microsoft Answers at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/can-i-have-some-private-help-to-get-my-windows-81/237a0c5a-2a20-4758-a0da-89d4734ce6d1?page=2 and it seems as though I'm at a dead end. I'm told that perhaps since I've upgraded to Windows 8.1, that I might have lost a Recovery Partition that might have helped me but that I know NOTHING about using.
Could I do a Repair Install with the 6 original ACER CDs that came with this PC 11 months ago when I bought it from HSN?

• 1 is labeled System Disc - Windows 8 64 bit FD.DCFA0.00X and it says to start the PC with this in it and press f12 during the boot up.
  • 4 are labeled Recovery Discs FD.DCFA0.00W
  • 1 is labeled Language Disc FP.XENXP.121 and it says to do this one last. 

If I start it with Disc 1 in the drive, doesn't it immediately offer me to choose between a Repair or a new Installation?
If it does, I realize that would then set me back to Windows 8 and not the 8.1 that it has upgraded to automatically or from some Store thing that I had to go to.
So my real Questions are:

Is there a Recovery Partition thing that I could use somewhere somehow?

Would using a Recovery Partition keep My Docs, My Pics, videos, music etc?
Will System Disc 1 offer me a Repair?
If it will, will that Repair save all of My Docs, My Pics, videos, music etc and then all I'll need to do is to reinstall all of my Programs, personal Settings, device connections etc?

I'd sure appreciate a quick and full response to this. Please just give me some short answers that are to the point and please don't expect me to follow any links that you might give me and figure any of this out myself. I'm to the end of my patience and I'm just here to beg for help so that I can try to make this thing useable. Honestly sometimes it isn't even worth using and I need to try to calm myself down and even leave the room so that hopefully when I come back it will have decided to start paying attention to my keystrokes.

Chick-fil-A cow & iJeff

Answers

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

vankjeff,

If you want to perform a recovery, then I would recommend backing up all your data to an external storage device. When you  perform a factory restore it will restore your system to factory defaults and erase all user data and settings.

You should still have a recovery option. Just search for Acer Recovery Management. If you do not have this, then you would have to use the media. The media does not offer a repair option but a restore to factory settings option.

• vankjeff
    vankjeff Member Posts: 24 New User
    Options

I'd prefer an online restoral of Win8.1 that my ACER now has on it & not back to Win8.

Is there a link that lets me do that after it verifies that Win8.1 is an upgrade that I got thru the PC's STORE that had obviously verified that the original Win8 was real?

I've noticed that the system restoral links are greyed out in the Command Center.

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

I apologize but there is no online restore link. The only options are the built-in recovery software if it is still available or recovery media that can be purchased from our Acer Store for your specific model.