Acer aspire V3 laptop stopped working after McAfee scan...

EricTBTS
EricTBTS Member Posts: 3 New User

Today as I turned on my Aspire V3 laptop I found the system running extremely slow. Opening task manager I found RAM and Harddrive was almost running at 100%, then I checked it was McAfee scan that came with Pre-installation that is taking up all the resources.

After about 10 minutes of running like this I decided to restart my computer. However after restart many system functions are no longer working. I can no longer access task manager. either CTRL+ALT+DEL or win-r wont bring it up. Tried MSCONFIG and again it wont start after I enter the keys. System restore similarly won't start after I click the bottons. There is no internet, clicking on device manager bottons won't bring up anything, driver update bottons similarly won't bring any response,  even reset to factory default botton won't work-was able to access the menu but when clicking on bottons nothing starts. - it seems as if the whole operating system is broke. 

Since this McAfee program came with the Acer laptop (it literarily says McAfee Internet security -Acer on the program menu) was wondering if anyone from Acer knows about this issue and knows how to fix it. Thanks.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer

Sounds like the reboot came up in safe mode. Try a shutdown, restart to see if it clears up. Rebooting while in something as intensive as a virus scan / repair is seldom safe. You should always let it continue until it's finished, even if inconvenient.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • EricTBTS

I tried restart but it just won't work...I Alt-F10 into bios and changed boot options and was then unable to enter windows using backup disks....clean windows 7 disk (did not have 8) however did boot up for installation. Its as far as a response I can get...

If MSCONFIG is unavailable, any other way to try boot up outside of safemode into normal mode? A lot of basic functions gets no response such as system recovery/disk scan/windows repair.  I can access the menus and click on the buttons but the menu freezes + no response afterwards.

• EricTBTS

Oh and just to clarify, I panicked and restarted after it showed hard drive and memory was stressed to 100% for at least 10 minutes (possibly 15). However pressing the windows button and then click restart alone took like 2-3 minutes and windows did not acutually restart for another 2-3 minutes...don't know if this information is helpful...