unable to install windows 7 on SSD

Options
canonwu
canonwu Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi There, 

I am trying to install Windows 7 on a 480 gb ssd on a XV462G-EI5333X it is a desktop, It seems to read the recovery media fine which was provided by Acer. It either sits at zero or it finishes the setup but it will sit at the starting windows logo. Ive tried different optical drives it still gives me the same result. So i tried a different machine it is still a desktop Veriton X498G, I zeroed out the drive leaving it in an unallocated state, again i use the recover media provided by acer for that machine but the weird thing is that its missing the option to format the system on a blank hdd. It only provides me with reformatting C: or reformatting but retaining user Data. So i attempt to reformat c: but it gives me an insufficient memory error and it cannot write to it. I contacted acer but they do not have any knowledge for my problem. Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

I remember that some recovery media need an HDD/SSD of the same exact storage or it will fail with a not enough space.

there's a file to modify but i can't find a reference at the moment.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Ingrid1990
    Ingrid1990 Member Posts: 21 Networker
    Options

Hi

Why don't you just clone the system drive to SSD or backup system drive and then restore it to the SSD? Many backup utility could help you with that. Also, you can create a system image of Windows 7 to external drives, like USB drive, with Windows 7 Backup and Restore utility. Then restore it on the SSD. 

Best.

• Ingrid1990
    Ingrid1990 Member Posts: 21 Networker
    Options

Hi 

It's me, again. With another thought, I think this may help you. I know one partition tool released by Aomei Tech that can migrate OS to SSD

It is pretty easy, and you just need to follow the wizard. BTW, it is free tool.

Best.

• canonwu
    canonwu Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

The HDD was on the verge of failing so i guess my colleague just backed up everything asap. thanks for the input.