Older Acer Aspire and Windows 10??

Flossie14
Flossie14 Member Posts: 3 New User

Have Acer Aspire 5741Z-5433 purchased 10/2010.   Is running Windows 10 SP1.  No problems.

Should I try to load free Windows 10 ?   I intend to buy newer laptop in next 6 mos to 1 year from now which will have Win 10, of course.  Should I leave well enough alone for now and not upgrade this Aspire to Win 10?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer

Vintage 2010 is a tough call, it should be new enough for the drivers to all work, but it's not new enough that Acer will guaranty it will. If the new computer isn't too far off I'd hold out, but if it's more than 4-6 months out I'd lock in the upgrade just to be safe. Upgrade to 10 and if something important doesn't work back down to your current setup.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • midlothianchump
    midlothianchump Member Posts: 18 New User

Discovering that "Aspire" notebooks like mine comprise a greater variety of ware (and some NOT "like mine") than I'd supposed, I'm wondering to what degree the answer here applies to my Aspire 5349.  Since installing Windows 10, the device manager and other trial & error efforts are finding NO WEBCAM, which is preposterous given my fully functional built in webcam (prior to Windows 10 installation).

Anybody got a clue for me?

• Flossie14
    Flossie14 Member Posts: 3 New User

Thanks.   I decided not to upgrade since I will be purchasing a new pc in a few months.   Appreciate your response to my query, though.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer

MS has been releasing new and better drivers for webcams with almost each Tuesday rollup. They might be adding even more support with the Anniversary release this coming Tuesday (8/2/2016) but if not I'd expect there will be more each month for the near future.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • midlothianchump
    midlothianchump Member Posts: 18 New User

"MS has been releasing new and better drivers for webcams" so... How do I find and acquire their candidates? Meanwhile... I've created a screencast via my smartphone camera and uploaded a 2-minute video of my quandary seeking resurrection of my webcam via Device Manager. Here's its cloud location, accessible via your browser: https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ap6SuR6y_kgdi3L9CzF78YfLsJWy Sure to save time versus my verbal explanation of what I've been trying. Appreciate your curiosity and/or assistance! Smiley Happy