Looking to reinstall Windows 7 Home x64 on an Aspire bought 4-6 years ago

Options
ChrisR
ChrisR Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Can eRecovery reinstall Windows 7 if the OEM op system provided was Vista?

I bought an Aspire 4-6 years ago from Future Shop here in Toronto Canada - it came with Windows 7 upgrade to the operating system.

I've misplaced the Win 7 Upgrade disk to Home x64 and the product code for the Win 7 install.

I'm looking to do a complete hard drive format (still OEM) and reinstall of the Windows 7 op sys.

How can I ensure a clean and effective reinstall?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

no, erecovery will re-install Vista if a windows 7 recovery disk from Acer was not used on a wiped HDD.

i don't know if Acer offered a windows key 7 upgrade or upgraded the BIOS to SLIC2.1 to validate the windows installation, by the way if you google a bit you will find some tools that will help you to retrieve the serial key and certificate (can talk about that here).

this will help you to re-activate windows 7 without any issue.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ChrisR
    ChrisR Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

thanks for this start IronFly... I'm a bit of a newbie... I received the Windows 7 upgrade disks after purchasing the computer ... installed (a few times!) Windows 7 using the disks and product codes.

I've not yet formatted the drive - am still using the laptop - is there a way to determine if the eRecovery / BIOS are established to recognize the Windows 7 Home x64 install... also if the sys recovery on the partition is Vista or Windows 7?

Also, I may have reformatted the drive before as well as done a Recovery Disk in Windows 7. Don't have that disk to hand - would creating one now alleviate possible problems?

In addition, can you recommend possible links to identify the Windows 7 Home x64 serial no and product code?

Chris