Installed new HDD, load eRecovery disc's, then ....nothing.

Options
GoToGuy
GoToGuy Member Posts: 11 New User

Aspire AM3470G Desktop. So the hard drive died, son lost recovery disc, installed new seagate 1 terabyte HDD. Thanks for the info on recovery disc's through ACER. Ordered the disc's, arrived,  and proceeded with install. Followed written instructions, loading SYS disc, then the 3 other recovery disc's. And lastly the language disc was called for. So instructions state after last disc loads the computer will reboot and load windows normally. ( Yeah! ) Except it ( BOO! ) went to swirly thing then reboot ( ? ) to black and white screen  with the menu to choose " start in safe mode", "start normal windows ", blah, blah. ( I started this as it said fresh install, and chose selection " eRecovery with format to wipe all data off drive.) So I don't know if the wild child changed any settings in Bios or anything else, he's in  "CYA mode" now that dad is involved.  What now start a Check bios (?) for new HDD, or order of precedence , DVD 1, HDD 2, or what order ? Arrgh, I was hoping this fresh install on new blank HDD would be like new.  I'm lost looking for guidance. Thanks.  

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

So...if you take off the Acer DVD and try to boot normally, what happen?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • GoToGuy
    Options

Yep, it ejected the DVD. Removed and it restarted, rebooted. Then it started the blue swirly atom thing. And then this came up on screen. Photo enclosed. I had son take a pic of screen display. 20150711_175152.jpg

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

If you want to start over............

1. Access a command prompt from outside windows and follow the procedure in link below to put your HDD/SSD back to factory condition.

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/The-Cru/Reset-your-SSD-to-factory-settings-Windows-DiskPart/ba-p/162503

2. If you're worried about the BIOS settings.....you could always access the BIOS settings and load the defaults and then save/exit.

3. Use you recovery discs

Edit: Your recovery discs probably give you a tool to access a command prompt for STEP 1

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Options

GoToGuy wrote:

Yep, it ejected the DVD. Removed and it restarted, rebooted. Then it started the blue swirly atom thing. And then this came up on screen. Photo enclosed. I had son take a pic of screen display. 20150711_175152.jpg

At this point I'd first try "Start Windows Normally" and see if it goes ahead and boots. If it does you are golden, if not try "Safe Mode with Networking". This screen comes up whenever Windows gets confused by a power cyce shutdown or an aborted load.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • GoToGuy
    Options

I tried  the suggestion from Ironfly, thank you sir, and it did the same thing, returned to the error screen.  I tried the selection for "start windows normally" and swirly thing quick blue flash screen then back to error screen. And then tried all the selections. Select "start safe mode" it scrolls through all files, then back to the "black and white do not pass go screen". Therefore cannot get past the error screen.  Special note: The problem child did finally ( under incredible pressure from she who must be OBEYED), let it slip that he had tried to "copy the old drive data onto the new to speed up the process".  So I don't know what conflicts could arise, but I will try JordanB's recommendation in the morning. I'll stick the drive in the other boys computer and follow the procedure. Then as I understand I will be starting at a real zero point.  Thanks to all for the help, it really is appreciated.

• JordanB
    Options

Now I'm a little confused about you putting the drive in a different computer.

The drive should stay in the computer that you're working on (its final destination).

I'll try to explain better.

When you boot up your erecovery disc, it *should* allow you to access some repair tools after you select the language. The tool you're looking for is the "command prompt". If you can access the command prompt, that link I gave you is the standard procedure for wiping the data/partitions off of a hdd/ssd, so you can start over with a clean drive.

In order to get your disc to boot, you'll probably need to go in to your bios settings and temporarily enable the Boot Menu and then save/exit to get out of the bios settings. When you enable the boot menu, it will allow you to choose from which drive you want to boot. You'd want to boot from the drive that has your erecovery disc/repair disc.

• IronFly
    Options

You can't copy file from the older HDD before booting to the new windows installation.....

Follow jordanB instruction to clean your HDD and re-install windows from the DVD.

• GoToGuy
    Options

Thanks for the all the the great replies. I have  tried to be clear on what I have done and what the results are in cluding  the photo of the error screen/ start in safe, network, etc.  Maybe I wasnt clear on the current timeline of events.  1. Sons desktop diagnosed with HDD with multiple bad sectors. Needs HDD replaced.  2. Purchased new 1 terrbyte SATA drive. I installed it. I reminded him let me do some research and talk to Acer or microsoft about the OS before we go any farther.   3. While i did that and ya all explained how I could order the eRcovery and be back in business, (Yeah!).  4. Then my son tried be helpful switched on his computer managed to get it to load and decided he would copy old drive onto new drive.  ( i am unaware of his helping to speed things up.)  5. Ordered the recovery disc, everyones happy. 6. Two days later Disc's show up ( wow fast!) and procede to follow written instructions and the disc install process.  7. And thats how ended up at the screen it the photo. 8. Whether choosing safe mode or safe with network all choices end up back at this screen. 9. In starting the eRecovery there is not a choice for command prompt, of the four selections.  10. Therefore the suggestion for wiping the new drive makes sense after my sons trying to help.  And in this instance the since the command prompt will not load i need to place the drive where I can run jordanB instruction. Unless this would create some conflict.  Then remove it from from desktop no. 2 and replace it in first desktop and start recovery as if we had done it clean,  the correct way in the beginning. I am going to wait and see if you all concur that idea. I checked the BIOS and the new HDD is there and boot from optical first.  Thanks again.

• IronFly
    Options

Try this to clean your new HDD using the original PC:

http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html
    download the .iso file
    then use a software to burn CD/DVD or USB flash drive and burn the .iso file
    once done, put the CD/DVD/USB on your PC, boot from CD/USB (maybe you need to boot under Legacy if you have UEFI BIOS)
    press F12 at boot and choose CD or USB
    at the desktop
    select your HDD
    right click on your HDD icon and choose delete all patitions and click on yes and then apply
    http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/delete-all-partitions.html#howto
    or wipe your HDD completly (it will erase also any GPT or MBR on the HDD), choosing the first option after selecting the wipe function.
    then exit partition wizard, boot to BIOS, set UEFI back from Legacy (if you have UEFI BIOS) and boot from the erecovery media.

• GoToGuy
    Options

Hi IronFly, This sounds way cool. I'm going to try it, thanks much. And to the famous quote,  "I'll be back".

• GoToGuy
    Options

Hi all. Well update so far.. downloaded  the partition wipe program. Burned the iso to disc. Loaded the disc into sons computer, fingers crossed, hey works just like the pics. ( had the laptop open to the web pages while running the program). It worked like majick. At the begining it listed 1.5 % of the new one terrabyte hard in use. After running the program that was gone. So ejected the disc. It rebooted , then went through the eRecovery process, last disc ejected, reboot, and it goes black and white start in safe mode screen, still the same problem, no change......

• IronFly
    Options

interesting.

ok, maybe you got an incompatible HDD, this is the official list for your desktop model:

"HDD SEAGATE 3.5"" 7200rpm 320GB
    ST3320413AS(Pharaoh 6G) SATA III 16MB LF F/
    W:JC45"
    KH.32001.022

"HDD SEAGATE 3.5"" 7200rpm 500GB
    ST3500413AS(Pharaoh 6G) SATA III 16MB LF F/
    W:JC45"
    KH.50001.022

"HDD SEAGATE 3.5"" 7200rpm 1000GB
    ST31000524AS ( Pharaoh 6G) SATA III 32MB LF
    F/W:JC45 "
    KH.01K01.016

"HDD SEAGATE 3.5"" 7200rpm 1500GB
    ST31500341AS(Brinks) SATA II 32MB LF F/
    W:CC4H"
    KH.15K01.002

"HDD WD 3.5"" 7200rpm 320GB WD3200AAKX-
    221CA0 XL500-1D SATA III 16MB LF F/
    W:15.01H15"
    KH.32008.023

"HDD WD 3.5"" 7200rpm 500GB WD5000AAKX-
    221CA0 XL500-1D SATA III 16MB LF F/
    W:15.01H15"
    KH.50008.022

"HDD WD 3.5"" 5400rpm 1000GB WD10EADX-
    22TDHB0 GP500 SATA III 32MB LF F/
    W:77.04D77"
    KH.01K08.013

"HDD WD 3.5"" 5400rpm 1500GB WD15EARX-
    22PASB0 (GP667-3D) SATA III 64MB LF F/
    W:51.0AB51"
    KH.15K08.004

"HDD WD 3.5"" 5400rpm 2000GB WD20EARX-
    22PASB0(GP667-3D) SATA III LF F/W:51.0AB51"
    KH.02K08.007
  • JordanB
    Options
    It could be that his OEM install is looking for 512 sector, but he has a new 4k sector drive. He might have to install the right driver to use that new HDD. Unfortunately I don't know which driver he needs or how to install it. Google might know.
  • JordanB
    Options
    But since some of the drives Ironfly listed are advanced format 4k drives, that's probably not the problem. Please disregard my previous post.
  • IronFly
    Options

Yep, some are 4k, his issue is pretty strange and i don't think it's a driver thing, since it's using the 3 DVDs from Acer....so drivers must be ok.

one thing to try is to set BIOS to default.

1. Shut system down.
    2. Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press F2 for notebooks or Delete for desktops to enter the BIOS.
    3. Press F9 and then Enter to load the default configuration.
    4. Press F10 and then Enter to save and exit.

then try again to boot.

• GoToGuy
    Options

Hi All. I took the suggestion earlier and before starting the eRecovery but after wiping the partitions, went into bios and selected defaults and save and exit. The drives you have listed are they previous years models? I did not find them on seagate website. The drive I purchased is the " Barracuda® 3.5-inch SATA 1-TB Hard Drive

ST310005N1A1AS-RK" . It does not say " Barracuda" on the box just the web page of HDD drives.  It a serial ATA does not exceed 2 terrabyte. If this drive is not a compatable unit that sure explain alot.  What do you guys think of his choice of drive? Thanks for your advice its much appreciated
  • IronFly
    Options

this is the Seagate 1.5 TB listed on my previous post:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-7200RPM-Internal-ST31500341AS-Bare/dp/B00066IJPQ

but...before buy another HDD, can you please try one last thing?

switch the DVD SATA cable connection to the HDD, simply unplug the cable from the DVD and plug it to the HDD and try to boot.

• JordanB
    Options

After you try Ironfly's suggestion........

Can you tell us how you determined/diagnosed that your original hard drive failed?

Any possibilty that it is not a HDD problem, but a memory problem?

The video below shows how to use one stick of ram:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etm0dzZ1DE0

• GoToGuy
    Options

Hi IronFly, I see the model  # ST31500...= 1.5 terbyte and bare drive.  The new one I got #ST31000...= 1.0 terbyte. and remaining numbers a " kit with wire". But it looks like the correct specs, unless I'm missing something. And since I'm going to do a wire swap, dvd to hdd, if that makes no change, i will review the doing the ram check, thanks Jordan. Again thank you very much.

• GoToGuy
    Options

And one more thing, "She who must be Obeyed", and son took it to the local comp fix place her mom went to, and they said" Multiple bad sectors on hard drive, needs new drive, and would only start with multiple reboot, then radomly crash". So  go to dad tell him what we did he'll fix it. Yeah, ... my life, cars, trucks, Aircraft, warbirds, plumbing, antique furniture, everyone loves ( uses ?) me cause I'm a mechancal engineer, with an A+P.