I have Win7Ult w/SP1 installed on an SSD, I want to use ReadyBoost but can't with SSD in normal way?

Options
dklug6606
dklug6606 Member Posts: 3 New User

I'm not a newbie and have tried all of the common ways and a lot of not so common ways including putting OS on micro SDXC card, flash drives, and OS settings. In theory if I can somehow change the IO buffer settings so that WIN7 treats the SSD as a standard HD without changing the read/write speeds and allows ReadyBoost to be used on 128GB MicroSDXC card. Am I on the right path or am I lost in the forest?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,956 Trailblazer
    Options

From what I understand, Readyboost would not help with a SSD. It is designed to use flash memory on a USB drive or memory card to cache disk data to make it perform more like a SSD by minimizing the number of seeks the HD will have to perform. This is the same type of thing that the hybrid drives do but likely a bit less efficient due to the bus speeds used by removable flash. You already have essentially no seek time since you are running on a SSD, so it not only wouldn't make things faster, it'd make things a bit slower.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.