Failed to Format Disk 0 Partition 4?

asphaltpilot
asphaltpilot Member Posts: 4 New User

After several failed attempts to upgrade to W10, I decided to wipe clean and reinstall W7, but that isn't working either.  It appears there is a partitioning problem, which may be why I cannot upgrade to 10.  I boot to my disk to factory reset my laptop, it tells me that is cannot format disk 0 partition 4.  I don't have a partition 4!  I have 3 and that's it!  How do I go about reformating my HDD so I can do something meaningful?  Thanks.

Answers

• asphaltpilot

I must add that I have a 6 year old Gateway NV73A10u.

HDD.jpg

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

Sounds like the install is trying to add the needed partitions to your drive without first removing the old ones. If you have everything backed up to your satisfaction, go ahead and have the setup remove the existing partition then create what it wants instead. You'll still have that 100M one, a recovery and the main C: drive but they'll likely be different ordered and possibly different sized.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • asphaltpilot

"go ahead and have the setup remove the existing partition then create what it wants instead"

Yeah, that is the option I chose, but it still failed.  At this point I may try a WINPE disk and wipe it, or maybe download Ubuntu to see if that wipes it (and then install W7 back).  A new HDD would $60 so that is an option too.  This whole delimma is very aggrevating.