Disc Drive issues (slow reading)

Ethana945
Ethana945 Member Posts: 18 New User

So I repaired my mom's laptop, and it works well. But now, it reads disc slowly.

If I place one in, it'll usally take a bit slower than usual. And sometimes, it might not open up if it does that. But once it's done reading, then the disc works fine.

Can someome tell me what the problem is? How can I fix it? Do I need to replace the disc drive?

The drive is a hl dt st dvdram gt90n

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Have you tried more than 1 disk?

Go here and run the troubleshooter

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us

• Ethana945

So I tried it with a CD my mom burned with music and a Samsung CD I got from a external drive I got for my Bday, and they work.

The drive can only work on DVDs if I have to restart the laptop, or if I wait long.

• philetus

I'm not sure exactly what you are saying here. You tried a couple of CDs and theey worked. Did did the dvd drive work good?

You can only play a DVD if you reboot after you put in the drive?

What is the laptop model?

• Ethana945

The laptop is a 531 2686.

The drive can read compact discs well, but DVDs take longer than usual. And the light only blinks for a second.

• philetus

Are the DVDs that run slow commercially recorded or are they disks someone burned?

If they are burned at a high speed it will take the drive longer to read.

Get a can of air and blow out the drive. A optical drive cleaner disk is good too.

Inspect the dvd disks for scratches and clean the disk. Don't clean by wiping around the grooves  in the diretion it travels.

Have you recently installed iTunes?

• Ethana945

The DVDs are commerical, and I never downloaded iTunes on the laptop.

• philetus

Open a command prompt as Administrator (type command prompt in search, right click on it and select Open as Administrator.

Type chkdsk /f and hit enter. It will as if you want to run it after you reboot, type Y and hit enter. Reboot and see if it finds and fixes the problem. 

It could be that the drive has become defective.Here are the part #s for the drive from acer:

KO.0080F.008
    KO.0080D.017

And here is a gauranteed drive on eBay for $11.69 and free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACER-ASPIRE-E1-531-15-6-Super-Multi-DVD-Rewriter-Optical-Drive-GT51N-/281790767055?hash=item419c09dfcf:g:AUIAAOSw~gRV6PXZ