Aspire 7750G - Problems with AMD Radeon HD 7670M, 2GB VRAM driver

Ebbenezer
Ebbenezer Member Posts: 10 New User

Hi. I contacted Acer about this issue and they couldn't provide any help, so here I am. It's a pretty long post, and the main problem here I believe is the AMD driver.

First, here are my specs:

Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium (Service Pack 1)

Intel Core i5-2450M – 2.5GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz

AMD Radeon HD 7670M, 2GB VRAM (version 8.901.4.0 – Can't update)

17.3” HD + LED LCD

6GB DDR3 Memory

500GB HDD

I've always had problems with my graphics card, the AMD Radeon HD 7670M, 2GB VRAM. Either my computer totally freezes, gets bluescreen from playing games (randomly) or I get bluescreen when my graphics card fails when trying to reset. Here are the problems I'm having.

1. I've been playing the game Overwatch (First Person Shooter by Blizzard) for some time now on this laptop and almost every time I try to play the game it will freeze and I'll get bluescreen because the graphics card fails to reset. I've tried to reinstall Windows countless times because I always seem to get this issue with this computer and no luck there. It doesn't work.

2. I think every game that I play is set to use my Intel(R) HD Graphics Family card and not my AMD card. I havn't seen an option that allowes me to change which card to use on different games/applications, tho it's sure to use the Intel card and not the AMD card. I've tried using AMDs "changeable graphics" but it doesnt seem to work, as Overwatch is set to "high performance", but is for some reason set to use my Intel graphics card and not my AMD card.

3. When I try to update my AMD driver it will screw me laptop up so bad that I have to do a system recovery, or in worst-case scenario, a full reinstall of Windows. When this problem occures the resolution will be set to 800 x 600 (I can't change this back to what it was) and the Catalyst Controll Center won't open.

In the Catalyst Controll Center it will tell me that there is no new update even tho there probably is.

If I try to update my driver via AMDs Auto Detect it will install a version that causes all these problems. I don't know if either AMDs auto detect is installing the wrong version or if it simply doesn't work.

And by the way, yes, I tried to update the driver via Acer Update and no new updated there. Went looking for a new version on Acers driver page and nothing new there either.

4. AMD Catalyst Controll Center has missing options. Not every option that is supposed to be there is there.

Thanks for reading through this.

I have read some articles that say I should install a modified BIOS in order to be able to use my AMD card. I have also read that there is a problem with the Catalyst Center not recognize my card properly. I really don't know what do do. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks for your time and I appreciate any help.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer

>>>I've tried to reinstall Windows countless times because I always seem to get this issue with this computer and no luck there. It doesn't work.>>>

What procedure(s) have you used to try to reinstall Win7? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Ebbenezer

Returning the computer to factory condition under Advanced Recovery Methods in the Controll panel. I also believe my dad did a recovery with a disc one time.

• JackE

Try this video method instead if you haven't done so already. You have the option of saving all your data.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2xoMEPfiPQ 

Then report back with results.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Ebbenezer

First, thanks for your time on this matter.

The recovery shown in the video is exactly the one that starts when I try to return the computer to factory condition under Advanced Recovery Methods in the Controll panel. This is the recovery that I use every time I reinstall Windows.

• JackE

It may look the same but the Alt+F10 erecovery method starts much earlier in the boot sequence, well before any Windows files are RAM resident. So try the cold boot Alt+F10 erecovery anyway if you haven't yet done so. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Ebbenezer

I'll report back soon.

• Ebbenezer

Just finished that recovery method. Didn't notice any changes sadly.

• JackE

OK. Does device mgr show any issues now? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Ebbenezer
    None
  • JackE

>>>AMD Catalyst Controll Center has missing options. Not every option that is supposed to be there is there.>>>

Check this again. This should be the original version that the machine was delivered with. What options are missing now if any? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Ebbenezer

Im guessing I'm missing a few options since I've seen other control centers with a lot more options than I have.

Here is my control center:

https://i.imgsafe.org/eb4475d97a.jpg

Maybe I should just send these problems to AMD?

• JackE

What options do you think are missing? Are the other control center software that you've seen, for the same HD7670M adapter? Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• Ebbenezer

I've seen other catalyst control centers that have a lot more options to choose from, so I can't say a spesific option that is missing. From what I've read, I know I'm missing the option to decide if my GPU should focus on quality or performance when it comes to graphics.

• JackE

>>> I think every game that I play is set to use my Intel(R) HD Graphics Family card and not my AMD card. I havn't seen an option that allowes me to change which card to use on different games/applications, tho it's sure to use the Intel card and not the AMD card. I've tried using AMDs "changeable graphics" but it doesnt seem to work, as Overwatch is set to "high performance", but is for some reason set to use my Intel graphics card and not my AMD card.>>>

OK. Two questions.

(1)  Are you accessing the AMD control center *and*  adjusting graphic card properties via Windows control panel 'change display settings'?

(2) Have you tried to disable the Intel card in device manager so as to force the system to use the AMD card?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Ebbenezer

1. Yes. But in the "change display settings" option there is no option to swith to AMD. AMD is not even mentioned there.

2. Yes. But if i do that, the system changes to something called "vga save", and not AMD.

• JackE

OK. Now if you're game, disable both video cards in device manager. Reboot if instructed for changes to take effect. Then on be-booting. if it defaults to WinVGA mode again, re-enable the AMD card and reboot if instructed yet again. If it still defaults to WinVGA on rebooting yet again, well then, I'd hafta guess the AMD video card hardware is either kaput or not physically installed/connected to the mainboard. Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• Ebbenezer

I'll report back soon.

• angelo5596
    angelo5596 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi, just use AMD control center 14 o 16 version on windows 10. either of these two versions should work... is the only way to recognize and work the graphic card. bye. i had the same problema.