Acer Aspire 5742 - Issue with Windows 7 Update not allowing starting

TKorynek
TKorynek Member Posts: 1 New User

My Acer Aspire 5742 had been running well for the past 5 years or so without any issues, when all of a sudden I encountered an issue when I tried booting it up today. A couple of days ago, Windows Update did its usual thing and installed some updates before the computer shut down. Whenever it's doing an update I always make sure the charger is plugged in just so that the power supply doesn't cut out / the battery doesn't run out which may cause issues with the update.The laptop shut down as normal.

Upon startup, a message appears saying "Failure configuring Windows Update. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer." I have left it running for at least 8 hours in the hope that it will "revert", but nothing seems to have happened. I have given up and also tried booting in safe mode, but to no avail.

Any ideas on what to do? I have done some light research into it on the web, but none of the solutions seem to match.

Also, whilst I am asking this question; if I were to completely reformat the laptop (in order to get rid of this issue) how would I go about getting the OEM locked key for the Windows 7 as it came pre-installed? I currently have no way to access the Acer Recovery part on the laptop so a complete reformat seems like the easiest thing to do as I have nothing I want to keep on the harddrive.

Answers

• Karp-Acer_Retired
    Karp-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru

When the installation of a program or driver causes an unexpected change to your computer, Windows to crash or behave abnormally you can use System Restore to undo these changes. Windows creates restore points regularly when major Windows updates are made, driver changes and installation of some programs. You can also restore from ponits you have created.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13060

minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.