£51 for a recovery disc. Justify that please?

Options
SenorCocass
SenorCocass Member Posts: 2 New User

So I recently had to replace my HDD on my Acer laptop.

Of course, this means I can't use the recovery partition in the broken HDD. And having moved house several times, I've long lost the recovery disc. No problem, as I took note of the Win7 serial number. Microsoft actually allow you to download Windows ISO's (as they realise the value is in the key not the actual software/data on the disc).

Can someone from Acer please explain to me how they can charge £51 for a DVD containing Microsoft property, when Mircrosoft will allow to you download their ISO's for free (minus all the awful Acer bloatware).

I have a legal copy of Win7 that came with my laptop, however, because of some odd thing with Acer and the activation process, I am unable to use Win7 x64 home premium clean install directly from Mircrosoft.

I've phoned Microsoft and they've told me to phone Acer. Acer tell me they will gladly send me a recovery DVD (so I get to install all their awful drivers/bloatware) all for the low low fee of £51. £51! I was also told that you don't provide ISO downloads. It's 2015, how is this a thing?!

This message will probably be removed, but I feel completely let down by Acer, and this will be the last time I will ever purchase an Acer product.

Answers

• SenorCocass
    SenorCocass Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I understand the licence is based on an Acer OEM licence. And all the awful software they bundle with it that mines data on my useage is totally helpful for the end user. I just do not understand how a DVD costs £51. Without a new key. Literally just a DVD.

Because Acer know you cannot install windows with their key without it, and therefore can extract a ridiculous amount of money for a sub-par version of Windows 7 that (I've just found out) will not upgrade to Windows 10 on my machine.

I'm literally going to buy a £90 retail licence instead.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,364 Trailblazer
    Options

I think it might have something to do with the costs of keeping an item available in the store, even though no one who follows the procedure of creating  recovery disks should ever need it. Smiley Happy

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.