acer aspire switch 10 isn't listed on windows 10

Marcuus
Marcuus Member Posts: 19

Tinkerer

How come windows 10 is not listed for aspire switch 10?

It is compatible with switch 11 and switch12 but not for 10 ?

where here should i find then the drivers for win10 - switch 10 ?

Thanks.

Answers

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator
    I show the Switch 10 is on our list of Windows 10 qualified products (http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/windows10-eligible-models), but did not see drivers for this product on our site. I have sent a message requesting that the drivers be loaded if they are currently available. Please check our support site again in 2 or 3 days. It may take longer than 2 to 3 days depending on driver availability.
  • laskeenni
    laskeenni Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Please act quick upon this, as ALL my Switch 10's hardware buttons and the keyboard dock fail to work after the update. Horribly frustrating.

Is there a current way to fix this?

• Blayn-Acer
    I sent a message asking if there were Windows 10 drivers to post for the Switch 10 and was told that it did not require Windows 10 drivers. All necessary drivers for the product should be present after running Windows updates. Are your Windows updates turned on and have all of the updates been installed since loading Windows 10? If you have, I suggest using the "Go Back" feature to return to Windows 8, check your dock and keyboard buttons to make sure they work, then reload the upgrade to 10.
  • laskeenni

Tinkerer

Well, that's clearly not correct, as my device manager says that there are no drivers present for:

GPIO Buttons Driver (code 28, yellow exclamation mark)

MS-ABTP (code 28, silver question mark)

MS-TCC (code 28, silver question mark) and

USB Root Hub (xHCI) (code 28, yellow exclamation mark)

Those are exactly the things I would need to get it running perfectly again. I downloaded the official driver pack, but that didn't help. I also cannot revert to 8.1 as Windows' Disk Cleanup Tool got rid of it.

My system is up-to date, so it's probably actually an update that messed it up all. What should I do? Visit the service center? They'd probably wipe it clean, but I want my data, and I cannot even save it without the USB working.

• Blayn-Acer
    I will look into this for you. I am currently updating my Switch 10 to Windows 10 to see if I have a similar experience. I will provide an update when the download and installaion of Windows 10 is complete. I hope to be able to provide an update later tomorrow on my findings.
  • laskeenni

Tinkerer

In the meantime I tried reinstalling windows 10 from settings, that caused the touchscreen to be unresponsive, while kind of fixing the keyboard dock. However, it has none of the necessary drivers, and is still kind of unusable.

I also contacted Acer Hungary about the warranty, who said that they hold no liability for the software, especially now that it's Windows 10 and not 8.1. They basically said that they refuse to repair it.

Are we being serious here? Acer even recommended updating my machine (they claim that they only provide technical assistance for the update process, not the system itself).

This is a terrible experience so far. Smiley Sad I'm thinking about going to the governmental customer protection agency. I feel I did nothing illegal, and now Acer leaves me with a bricked machine.

• Blayn-Acer
    Sorry for the bad experience you have had with the update. I just completed the update. After the Windows 10 update completed, I checked for Windows updates and installed the updates that were present. I checked device manager and there are no exclamation points or problems shown. Everything appears to be working properly with no driver downloads needed.

If you are still having problems, I recommend restoring Windows 8 using Acer recovery media and then attempting the upgrade again.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

See my posting on the DPTF drivers. In that case I had to force my W510 to use the earler (Acer) drivers and not the Win 10 Intel upgrade.

To check which version you want, download the latest Acer driver package (1.06 ?), unzip it, and look at the .inf in the folder for each drive that has a problem. That will give you the version number you want.

It may not work for everyone (I do not have a Switch10) but did work for me.

• ASwitchos
    ASwitchos Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi everybody,

just add the same experience than laskeenni.

i upgrade my Acer switch 10 SW5-012 with the Windows Media Creation Tool.

did the upgrade, Windows 10 was very slow and had only 3 gb left on the very small space that we have on the Acer switch 10 SW5-012, had also some trouble like Laskenni said.

I decide to do i new upgrade from zero and start again, erase everything on the hard drive with the Windows Media Creation Tool did an iso on an USB key this time with the tool before.

the result is the same.

did all the updates that you provide on your acer support website for windows 8.1 exept the Master Installer that dont work at all on windows 10.

What's next Acer ?

Thanks

• Blayn-Acer
    ASwitchos,

Is there a reason you are upgrading with the media creation tool, instead of using the Get Windows 10 App and recommended Windows 10 upgrade path? Did you run the Windows updates that are present in Windows 10 after the update? When I upgraded my Switch, I used the Get Windows 10 App to download and install the upgrade, then once Windows 10 was loaded, I checked for updates and installed all Windows updates with no problems or errors in device manager. At that point, everything on my device was working properly with no downloads needed from the Acer support site.

My recommendation would be to reload Windows 8 from Acer recovery, and then proceed with the upgrade path. If you do the media creation tool installation without upgrading, you may encounter Windows activation issues, and possibly other issues as well.
  • ASwitchos

Hi, Thank you for your quick answer, very nice service.

Ok so like everybody, i was a little bit impatient to get W10 on my tablets so i couldn't wait to get it by the normal way which was not working it was saying i had to wait and i didn't know there was an Get Windows 10 App so i used the media creation tool.

after the install was done yes of course i update W10 with the available automatic update.

for the activation i have the W10 key already it is already activated no worries here.

my problem here is that i erase everything on the switch 10 card so no recovery possible to windows 8.1.

like i said before i did the normal upgrade but after that i had only 3 gb  of free space and it was not working fine so i had the brilliant idea to wipe out everything when i run the media tool recovery, iam a genius Smiley Sad

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Have to assume you didn't bother to create a recovery flash drive or system image then the only way to recover is to buy a copy of the Acer recovery disk/flash drive. That should get you back to 8.1.

If running slow you can open task manager and see what programs are using CPU cycles. I did notice some slowdown right after loading from Windows Update. Are you on a slow pipe ?

Do not know which SW10 you have but only the most basic comes with 32GB of SSD. Both my W3 and W510 have 32GB and are working just fine now that I cleared the DPTF issue, on dual 1920x1080 displays even.

BTW a lack of space issue is best handled by telling the install to use an external drive for files and that can be a microSD card with 10GB free.

• ASwitchos

Ok thank you all for your help.

Do you know where or how could i get the acer recovery flash.

try to look on acer support website i couldnt find a place to order one.

Thanks

• ASwitchos

I found it no worries, thanks

http://fr.acer.ch/ac/fr/CH/content/commandes

• laskeenni

Tinkerer

Well, the problem is after facing these problems, I tried to repair it from Windows's settings and factory restored it from the menu. This successfully got rid of the hidden Windows 8.1 partition for reinstall, and now I'm left with a bricked machine.

I contacted Acer Hungary's Facebook and whined there publicly - they were more supportive than the idiotic outsourced warranty service that denied accepting my device. I'm trying to send it to sevice again, but I feel like I have to put way too much effort into this than I'm supposed to. Either Microsoft/Acer messed something up and didn't provide proper information on what I should or shouldn't do, or I have a faulty machine, none of which is my fault.

• ASwitchos

that's crazy,

i dont understand why Acer do not provide proper Driver for Windows 10 yet, i asked to get a usb recovery disk for Windows 8.1 with bing and they ask me 90$ for it, for this price getting a Windows 10 pro will sound smarter.

That's crazy thanks Acer. Even if i am completly responsible for what happen to my Acer tablette i dont understand why they do not provide those Windows 10 driver.

Somebody was talking about Lenovo driver i instal those, it work fine, its a bit better but still not stable in many point.

Acer please give us those Windows 10 driver for all the switch 10 serie.