acer aspire 5920 paperweight after windows 10

ky911spatcher
ky911spatcher Member Posts: 1 New User

I just made the mistake of clean installing windows 10 on my acer and now it will not connnect with the wifi. Does anyone have a solution for this or possibly can the Wifi adapter be updated or a different adapter be installed to work ?  I bought the laptop from a co-worker and it had windows 7 on it and someone removed the factory refresh so that's not an option either . It has a Vista code on the bottom but of course i have no disc .

thanks for any help !

Phil

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

I guess you could try connecting your computer to the router via ethernet and see if Windows automatically downloads and installs a driver for your wifi.

You could also google search for "USB WiFi dongle" and see if you can get one that works with Windows 10.  Or run over to Best Buy and I'm sure they have a USB WiFi dongle they can recommend for $10-$25.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

That's the problem with clean installs, if the W10 install image doesn't include your drivers you are going to have to slog through the process of downloading them all manually. Open Device Manager and see which wireless adapter you have, get on another machine and download drivers, then copy them to your machine and install. Once you have them going you should be able to find the rest of the drivers you are missing through searches.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JordanB

@billsey

That's true about clean install and why I connect to Ethernet on an unknown computer clean install of Windows 10. Much better chance of getting ethernet (NIC) driver from the Win10 media.

But in this case, the OP has essentially an 8-10 year old Vista hardware.  The OP's computer originally came with Windows Vista.  

They make those USB WiFI dongles really small now so as not to be so obtrusive (and they're relatively cheap).

I'd probably just cough up the 9 bucks and get this little puppy. and be done with it.  One of the reviewers says it works with Windows 10.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

Well, IIRC the 5920 comes with a pretty standard Intel chipset for both wired and wireless connections. It should be fairly easy to download drivers either from Intel or from Acer. If they don't have Windows 10 specific drivers, used the Windows 7 (or Vista) drivers instead. Once he has the network up he can install the rest of the missing drivers from the Acer support site.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JordanB