Windows 10 upgrade on Aspire ES1 111M 32GB EMMC drive

Options
raul_sbd
raul_sbd Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello,

Does anyone knows how i can do the upgrade to Windows 10 on my eligible ES1 111M with EMMC drive? Basilly is on Windows 8.1 with Bing 64b version. The problem is that the drive is 32 gb, wich 10gb are already used by the partition recovery disk and then Windows leaves only about 7gb from the C: hard drive free.

I have tried to create a usb bootable install of windows 10 and succeded but then when i arrive to the partitions window im very concern about formating the c: drive wich is only 18gb in order to install windows 10 home 64b that anyway i think it requires 20gb of space...

Does anyone has succed on installing it on one of this machines with such small hard drive?

Many thanks

Raul

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

you can't format your drive before update or you will loose windows 10 activation.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • cfourkays
    cfourkays Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Options

I have an R3-131T with the same problem.

Big letters where I bought it and n a sticker around the monitor.

"Windows 10 Now"

"Upgrade to Windows 10"

When I try, there's not enough space.

• raul_sbd
    raul_sbd Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hello everyone

Finally I got my Win 10 working on my Acer es1 111m with 32gb emmc drive.

The update was ready on windows update so I proceed. Half way of the update said it was not enough space on my 7gb left of Hard Drive.

So I plugged my 1tb external USB drive and finish the install with no problems at all.

Windows 10 Home 64b runs perfect on my notebook so I'm really impress.. Performs a lot better that Win 8.1.

The upgrading process took around 1.5h.

I hope that helps.. Leave me a kudos and accept this answer as a resolution to my query.

Raul

• cfourkays
    Options

I've done exactly the same. This is on a brand new R3-131T with the 32GB drive. It gets all the way thru the upgrade and then locks up with half the spinning circle showing.

When I restart, it says the upgrade fails for the following reasons:

0XC1900101-0X20017 Install failed in Safe OS phase...

Googleing that has many, many responses and I've tried all of them.

I'll probably tell owner to return PC and get something else. Bought at Walmart and they have no service.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

IIRC the Safe OS stage is when it makes a backup of your previous OS so you can revert if needed. You just need to have an appropriate amount of storage somewhere, external disk, thumb drive, SD card...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • cfourkays
    Options

I have a 1 TB external drive plugged in.

It goes past that stage, I think.

It stops the spinning circle half way, (That's the best I can describe it,) than a blue screen, not a BSOD, comes up with:

"We could not install Windows 10"

We set your PC Back...."

0XC1900101-0X20017

"The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during boot operation.

Its a brand new PC, never used.

If I return it, I wonder if I'll get the same thing.

I see mucho posts all over the net but nothing that has fixed this.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

I'd try opening the issue with Microsoft. Maybe they can figure what it's trying to do so we can find a fix.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

Next week when Microsoft releases Threshhold2, you should be able to do a clean install of Windows 10 to upgrade your windows 8.1 w/ bing..  Then you won't have to worry about space limitations.

Be sure to create a USB factory default recovery drive before you attempt upgrade.

See this thread for more details:

http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-10/Acer-Aspire-ES1-111M-cannot-install-windows-10/td-p/392586

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Natey2
    Natey2 Member Posts: 23 New User
    Options

raul_sbd wrote:
    Finally I got my Win 10 working on my Acer es1 111m with 32gb emmc drive.

Are you on Windows 10 Home Build 10240? Let me know how the next Windows 10 update to Build 105xx goes.

Mine ran out of space again, and this time plugging in an exernal drive did not help.

The update wanted more space on C:

• mgroover
    mgroover Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Same thing for me. Need to have a full 12gb available on C:\ for the November update which is not working out well for me as I can get it down to ~7GB of free space.

I'll post something here if I manage to figure out how to upgrade Smiley Happy

• amel
    amel Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

Hello, i have a new ES1 111M with 32Gb eMMC, 2Gb RAM, with W8.1, i am creating now an usb restore system of 8.1.  In this laptop run better 8.1 or 10??   I see a recovery partition with about 10Gb, i would like use it for me!  How can use this partition for me?? 

Thanks,