Windows 10 upgrade keeps aborting

Options
rahelab
rahelab Member Posts: 2 New User

I've tried to upgrade to Windows 10 multiple (and I mean many, many) times, always unsuccessfully. My model number is on the approved list. I've spent almost 2 hours on the phone with Geek Squad, and they couldn't help me, either. Even my IT-guy boyfriend couldn't help me. And Acer hasn't been a help (I've been going around in circles on the help pages.) Hoping someone here can help - it's my last resort.

The first 5 or 10 times, I would get an error message about missing updates (I update automatically so ... but anyhow), and then that stopped. Now Windows 10 starts to install and then gets to a screen where it says it can's determine if there is enough space. There is PLENTY of space. (See image.) Now sure where to go from here. Any ideas?

Windows10Fail.JPG

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

Try an error check of the C: drive, if the partition is flagged as having errors the update will try to not use it. Open your file manager, right click on the C: drive and choose properties, on the Tools tab there's an error checking utility. Run through with the default first and if the problem doesn't clear up have it check for bad sectors as well. That will take a long time, so make sure everything is running on AC power (you didn't specify your model).

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • rahelab
    rahelab Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I followed your instructions, but it didn't get me any further. I'm still getting the message about not knowing if there is enough space, and try again.

Some information that might (or might not) be relevant:

The model is an Acer V7-581P (Ultrabook with touchscreen)

I bought the laptop in Canada, then moved to the UK.

Somewhere along the line, there was a sync that happened. I changed my Microsoft Surface to a UK language pack and keyboard, and then the keyboard on the Acer also changed to the UK layout.

There is over 64GB of space available, so there shouldn't be an issue there. 

Thoughts?

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

I have seen not having each and every patch that says "windows" (including optional) installed cause that

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

Try changing back to the Canadian settings on both. The Windows upgrade does not work when the locale is mis-matched from the original.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.