Windows 10 upgrade 10586 on R3-131T

Options
tk1
tk1 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi, I have two brand new in box Acer aspire R3-131T.  4gRam 32gSSD.

Running windows updates.  

When attempting to update windows 10 to build 10586.  

Windows says not enough space to install update, provide an alternative.

Provided empty 16G usb drive.

Windows detected external drive as D:\ and tries to continue.

Windows then says not enough space on drive c. Only 6.8G available.

Ran cleaning tools on drive c:, no help.

Tried removing language packs, nothing but english installed, so also no help.

Cannot find windows.old directory to remove as per some forum suggestions. (new machine, therefore dont care about old windows).

Can I just use a vanilla windows 10 ISO and start fresh with the new build?  Or will I loose my licence from Acer?

Thanks

Tony

Also incorrectly posted this here (on a closed solution).  Mod please remove .

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

The update does not like flash drives. You can use a SD card or a USB HDD or SSD drive with at least 16 GB free space.

• tk1
    tk1 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks very much for replying.  I really don't have the time to be messing around each time a major patch is released for windows 10, I need it to be automatic or at the very least simple and without strange unexplainable incompatibilities.  

I am replacing the machines with a different brand and higher spec with more SSD storage.  Someone elses problem now.  Sorry Acer you have lost a customer.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

Too bad, you can get a great deal on a R3-131T-P344 on Amazon right now (probably not for long) and It has no storage issues. I have one and it is blue.

For those with the 32GB R3 there is an easy option: 64 or 128GB SDcard - is a slot in the back few seem to know about.

• ElliHarriden
    ElliHarriden Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

i have the same issue although i have tried putting an empty so card in the back yet it stills insufficient space

why does it use 26.7gb after i reset and windws reimstalls. 

womt use sd card for the update