Windows 10 on the Travelmate P645-M - Intel HD 4400 Error

Options
dkemp
dkemp Member Posts: 20 New User

Hello Everyone,

My company has a number of Acer Travelmate P645-M laptops in use in their estate (circa 1500).

We are currently running a pilot with a view to rolling out Windows 10.

One of the issues we have encountered during the pilot is the well documented problem in Windows 10 with the Intel HD 4400 chipset and the repeated pop up error messages that are generated.

error.jpg

I know the P645-M model is not on the Acer list of devices supported for Windows 10. Acer Drivers for the P645-M for Windows 10 are for Bluetooth and Wi-Fi adaptors only. The site states all other drivers will be added via Windows Updates.

My feeling with this is that there is an inherent issue in Windows 10 that causes problems for the 4400 chipset. There are so many reports for so many makes and model of PC, Intel and Microsoft must be aware aware of the problem.

I’ve tried rolling back to the Windows 8.1 driver, but on rebooting Windows 10 restores the driver supplied as part of the updates. I’ve had the same with some Beta drivers I tried. They get removed and replaced by the Intel driver from the Windows 10 updates.

My question is, has anyone found a solution to this for the TMP645-M model?

Is there a Driver out there that is known to stop the pop up message and does not get forcibly removed once it is on?

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Options

Hi dkemp,

I'm going to ask because I sure see it on a lot of HD4400 products as well and I wasn't aware of it. I'll see what I can find out.

The best solution I found actually comes from Steam and that's to install an older version that was setup for Day one of the Windows 10 launch. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25188/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-33- Let me know how this works if you're able to try it. You may have to watch for Windows trying to update this driver automatically.

Cory

• dkemp
    Options

Hello Cory,

Thanks for the details. The current driver version, as installed by Windows 10, is 10.18.15.4248 (probably should have mentioned that in my original post). I'll give the one in the link a try and update on here what the outcome is.

• dkemp
    Options

I forgot to add.

I mentioned originally I was having a problem with any driver I installed being removed and replaced by Windows update in Windows 10. This can be disabled.

The details on how to turn this off can be found here:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

(Opens in a new page)

• dkemp
    Options

Hello everyone.

An update.

I've been in touch with our Dealer Care representative at Acer UK and he provided me with an alternative driver to try (15.40.3.1.4248).

So I disabled the ability in Windows 10 to update devices via Windows Update, as explained in my post previously, and then disconnected the device from the LAN/Internet and uninstalled the existing driver and also took the option to delete the driver from the device.

I then rebooted and performed the installation of the new driver supplied by Acer. This installed successfully, no errors or compatibility messages were witnessed.

After the installation completed I rebooted the device and logged in again. All seems good up to this point. I then attempted to carry out some of the tasks that have previously seen the error message occur. This required me re-connecting to our LAN.

Within minutes of me doing this, the screen flashed to black a couple of times and when I checked the Graphics Driver version, it had reverted back to the original. I checked and confirmed the option to allow Devices to be kept up to date was still turned off.

It seems I'm fighting a losing battle here as even if I do find the right driver, Windows 10 won't allow it to be installed. I'm convinced this is more of a Windows 10 issue than a problem with the Travelmate device.

What's also interesting is, I've surveyed our pilot group to determine who exactly has had the graphics error and whether they use a ProDock2, direct connection to an External Monitor or just standalone on the Notebook and it seems there is no particular pattern here. Some of the 'M' model users are reporting they have not had the error at all (?!).

I'm now going to gather hardware data on the devices that are affected to try and determine if there is a particular manufacturing date range or some other KPI that will at least let me predict how many of our devices are likely to be affected by this if/when Windows 10 is deployed across our business. At the very least I may be able to have a list of devices that must be excluded from the deployment.

If I get any other information on this I'll update here.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

I think you can finally update the Intel 4400 Windows 10 graphics driver.

Download the zip and extract.....and use the "have disk" method.

So far after an hour of use, it hasn't reverted back to the old driver.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25951/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen-?product=81497

hd4400finally.PNG

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • dkemp
    Options

Hi JordanB,

Thanks for the update. I downlaoded the driver and when I initially tried to update (using the 'have disk' method) windows reported I already had the best driver installed.

So, I uninstalled the display adaptor and ticked the box to remove the current driver. I then performed a scan for hardware changes and a generic windows vga driver was installed.

I then use the update driver option to apply the driver downloaded via your link above. It seemed to go through the motions and I had a fair bit of screen flickering during the installation process, but when ?I checked the version of the driver it seems the original has been applied again. I did this process while still connected to the LAN/Internet so am going to give it another go with not connection to see if I can interrupt the auto install process to at least install the latest version and test it.

Thanks again for the update. At least it appears something is being done at Intel for this.

Regards David.

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi,

Try to use the tool from this page to prevent windows 10 to update your intel graphics driver.

Just read the information from the support page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

For me it worked with intel HD graphics 4600.

• JordanB
    Options

ok.  

The only thing I can suggest is trying the "have disk" method again.  Sometimes it doesn't always work the first time.  I didn't have to uninstall the driver or disconnect fom internet.

I've been pullling my hair out for 5 months using every method possible trying to get HD 4400 updated, but always had the same problems as you.  You can try Sharky's method, but it never worked for me.

I still have the updated driver persisting 48 hours later.  But then again, i don't have your computer model.

finallystill.PNG

• JordanB
    Options

Or try this method which is a little different than the "have disk" method.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9695-driver-install-device-manager-windows-8-a.html

• dkemp
    Options

Hi,

That's the method I usually follow but when i try it Windows reports back that "The best driver software for your device is already installed. Windows has determined that the driver software for your device is up to date."

So despite the driver I'm trying to use being a more recent version, windows seems to prefer the original.

I've also tried removing the original driver and deleting from the device (with the device off the LAN/Internet).

I can successfully install the replacement driver. I can reboot and the new driver is still installed. Within minutes of reconnecting to the LAN/Internet the original driver is re-installed. 

I have confirmed the Device Installation settings are configured to NOT automatically download manufacturers' apps and custom icons (as described previously in this thread) though it doesn't seem to include not updating/replacing the device drivers.

There are a few drivers I've tried and the problem is not with them, but the fact Windows 10 refuses to allow any kind of upgrade or replacement to take place and forces you back on to the original driver installed as part of the Windows update for this device.

I'm going to raise this as an Operating System problem with Microsoft and see if they can offer anything as a solution.

I'll let you know if I learn anything.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

David

• sharky25k
    Options

Hi,

Windows "prefers" the bad one because is "manufacturer recommended". So I think here Acer has part of the fault as well. I am sure that somehow they "suggest" a good driver for their products in windows and here they failed.

I am really curious if you succeded or not to hide the updates using the microsoft tool mentioned above: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

I think many people fail with this tool because when you start the tool, before clicking next you should click on advanced and then uncheck apply repairs automatically. Then after next, you should select hide updates, and select your intel hd graphics card. I saw that for some people the intel HD graphics card option does not appear in the list so it could be your situation as well.

• dkemp
    Options

Hi,

I have tried this previously but I get a "There are no updates to Hide." message.

My company has a dealer care agreement with Acer. I'm going to go back to my contact there to see if they can get a change to their "manufacturer recommended" driver to one that works for the P645-M Travelmate.

I'm seeing lots of people having issues of this sort (not just Acer users). One comment posted about Win10 was "It's like having iOS pushed on you" which sort of summed things up and I think it's the way Microsoft may be trying to go. However, unless we all start using the same hardware, this is going to be hard to do with Windows.

Thanks everyone for your assistance with this. I know more now than i did before and although it's not fixed, I at least have an understanding of what needs to be done to fix this.

I will of course update if I have anything further to add here.

Regards

David.

• sharky25k
    Options

Hi,

Did you try this?

Right click on my computer --> Properties --> Left side click Advanced system settings ---> go to Hardware --> Device installation settings ---> Here select no for install "manufacturer recommended drivers".

And then try to reinstall (again.) the latest intel driver.

I don't know if it will work but you could give a try.

• dkemp
    Options

Hi,

Yes, that was also suggested here previously and it has no effect. I think in this instance, becuase it is a driver supplied via Windows updates, it is not technically a manufacturer driver and so is not captured by this option.

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Options

All,

I know you all are trying a number of topics but I wanted to provide an update from our end. We upgraded a TMP645-M to Windows 10 and we used it for a few days and ran benchmarks on it for a few days. The driver that was installed after all the updates was 10.18.15.4528 and we did not experience any intel driver crashing notifications. Is it possible that the issue is being over complicated? Or is it possible to try with this version and see if you're getting the same results?

Thanks,
    Cory

• sharky25k
    Options

Acer-Cory wrote:

All,

I know you all are trying a number of topics but I wanted to provide an update from our end. We upgraded a TMP645-M to Windows 10 and we used it for a few days and ran benchmarks on it for a few days. The driver that was installed after all the updates was 10.18.15.4528 and we did not experience any intel driver crashing notifications. Is it possible that the issue is being over complicated? Or is it possible to try with this version and see if you're getting the same results?

Thanks,
    Cory

Hi,

Nice to see a person from Acer interested in this.

Well windows does not install the 4528 driver (are you sure about the number? since the latest is 4424) but the 15.40.3.1.4248.  It's the driver which is "recommended by manufacturer" and I can tell you that it is always installed also on V15 Nitro (591g series) with intel 4600 HD graphics.

I think Acer could recommend for microsoft a different version of it. Eg 4300 (I have it and works perfectly) or 4424, the latest one).

And believe me, you don't need benchmark to see that the 4248 is a piece of *****. It creates also color artifacts on youtube videos which could look like encoding issues but they are not encoding issues.

• dkemp
    Options

Hello Cory,

The problem with running the TMP645-M with the 10.18.15.4528 driver is that it doesn't always manifest. I've use my PC for two days and it has not lagged/popped up the message once. I've mainly just been checking mail and access web pages so nothing intensive.

On another day where I may be working across two spreadsheets, for example, it could happen each and every time I cut and paste cells between sheets. I should mention I use a Acer PorDock 2 with dual displays, but I have surveyed all of our users (50+) taking part in the Windows 10 pilot and all of the 'M' model users report seeing this. Not all of them are using docks with external displays. 

If you want to see if you can replicate this try Camtasia Studio, download it (30 day free trial) and see how it performs. I got this error constantly when using it.

That there is an issue with the Intel 4400 chipset under Windows 10 is not in doubt. You only have to search the internet to see there are a large number of people experiencing this problem, not just Acer users. The main issue is that although there are other drivers available, Windows 10 will not let you keep them installed and always rolls back to 10.18.15.4528. I do not suggest that Acer is at fault here as this is clearly an OS problem. 

The 'M' model was designed to work with an earlier version of Windows, but most consumers expect to be able to upgrade their devices for at least the next three to five years after investing in a computer (personal or corporate).

The responsibility, in my opinion, lies with Microsoft to come up with a solution. However, I would have hoped that Acer would be working in the background to put pressure on them to do that.

What I'm trying to do through this forum is find out if anyone has a solution or workaround to stop it. I mentioned before that we have in excess of 1500 'M' model units on our estate. If a solution is not found it could potentially stop us rolling out Windows 10 until the M's go end of life. Not really ideal.

I've been in touch with our Acer dealer care team and am prepping one of our devices to send to them for investigation. Acer are taking an interest in this issue and are trying to help out.

If I get any feedback or updates I'll be sure to post details here.

Regards

David

• dkemp
    Options

Hello everyone,

I've received an update from our dealer care person at Acer.

Having received a machine from me for testing, it is now acknowledged there seems to be a wider issue here and he has suggested a 'new driver altogether' may be required to fix the issue.

He is going to be in contact with Acer in Taiwan to see what can be done.

Good news and as soon as I have any further information I will update you here.

regards

David

• dkemp
    Options

Hi everyone,

The latest feedback from our Acer Dealercare is thus;

"Having checked this and after discussions with our Repair Centre and Acer PA, it seems to be an issue with your preload or custom OS.

The issue does not occur on our Preload and we haven’t seen this issue at all, other than on your units I’m afraid."

It’s not a custom OS. It’s a deployment made using the latest official release of the Windows 10 OS and applied to our test devices using a task sequence installed from USB media. WE use the same installation on all of our devices and only have an issue with the TMP 645-M Our ‘image’ works fine on the TMP 645-S, HP devics and some new evaluation Lenovo devices we have.

I’ve explained previously that that I believe this is a Windows 10 issue and that it needs a fix from Microsoft. I would have liked to see Acer try and get some sort of engagement with Microsoft to come up with a solution.

Microsoft have announced another build for Windows 10, due for release in the next two weeks. We’re going to stop our testing and deployment process until this comes out and start with a fresh image.