Windows 10 clean install on Aspire E3-574G doesn't allow to download executables

VyshuRam
VyshuRam Member Posts: 5 New User

Hello,

Hope I get some answers. Couple of weeks back I brought a new Acer Aspire E5-547g notebook here in Sweden. I have my own MSDN subscription and decided the get rid of default Windows 10 OS i got with notebook. I downloaded the MSDN copy(Enterprise) and did a clean install. Then i started facing the problems. It doesn't matter which browser i use, I can't download any executables from internet. Its working fine with zip files but executables I can't. I brought avast license but couldn't able to download the installation from their site. Not just avast, I can't download almost any executable. The download goes for ages without update in progressbar. If i try to download using any download managers, the download gets stucking at 99%. I formatted OS and did clean install couple of times. I tried various MSDN Windows10 versions, the result is same. I am getting frsutrated over this. I need real support now. I hope I am not only one who went through this situation. 

Best Answer

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

"I didnt understand most of your reply." Is it my English or the technical parts. With an MSDN and multiple copies I was assuming you would understand.

With all of your changes the only common factors are the BIOS and an external firewall/router. So if you have a second PC on the same subnet is it acting the same way or does it download extensions properly.

BTW when you say "clean install" are you reformatting the disk first ?

Answers

• padgett

That sounds like a permissions issue. Enterprise is a very powerful vesion of Windows designed for agency/corporate use with external administrators and can be locked down very tightly to prevent malware from being encountered.

See here for more features but I suspect your issue can be found in the Group Policies restrictions. See GPEDIT.MSC.

ps for an individual, the only real advantage to Enterprise over Pro is the ability to create Windows to Go drives.

• VyshuRam
    @padgett, Its same situation even in Home and pro editions. It has nothing to do with Enterprise edition. I tried disabling firewall, defender to download in all Windows versions but the result is same. Its same situation with drivers installed and without install. No questions for malware or virus since all installations were clean.I can able to download only zip files but not exe or msi packages. It's impossible to download jdk from oracle, avast from avast site. there are many more examples. but there were exceptions too. I could be able to download uTorrent(using FDM) and installed it. downloading using torrents was never an issue. So I came to conclusion with no issues in WLan driver.
  • padgett

Does this happen with Firefox or Chrome also ?

Have you tried creating a new Admin account ?

Bit more rumination & have you eliminated the local system: does a second PC act the same ? If you set up another local PC as a server do you have the same issue ?

With clean installs, the only common factor is your BIOS.

• VyshuRam

I didnt understand most of your reply. Browsers doesnt matter. I tried all browsers but issue is same. cant download files over internet. The issue is only with this laptop. I dont have any server. Now I am back to Home version(again clean install) and still with same issue. I brought this laptop here in Sweden but trying to install english versions of Windows 10. Does that have any impact on over system performance? I am too getting cornerned opinion on bios? I tried switching accounts(admin) but issue is same everywhere.

• VyshuRam

BTW, I never see any new updates happening from microsoft. The OS copies are from July 2016. Are there no updates from microsoft after that or I have issue with updates? checking for updates in update & security is taking forever with no results.

Edit:

Finally checking for update stopped and got this message.

There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x8024402f)

• padgett
    Answer ✓

"I didnt understand most of your reply." Is it my English or the technical parts. With an MSDN and multiple copies I was assuming you would understand.

With all of your changes the only common factors are the BIOS and an external firewall/router. So if you have a second PC on the same subnet is it acting the same way or does it download extensions properly.

BTW when you say "clean install" are you reformatting the disk first ?

• VyshuRam
    I finally found the answer when I looked into other PC as you asked for. It is issue with my ISP. When I connect to my mobile data with USB tethering everything looked normal. Now i am raising an ticket to my ISP. Thanks for your suggestions. They really helped the diagnosis.