Windows 10 Pro x64 fresh install issues

jte101
jte101 Member Posts: 7 New User

I am new to laptops so this might have a fix I am unaware of. I have an Aspire  E5-575G-53VG that came with Windows 10 Home installed along with all of the other "stuff" the manufacturers usually install. I want to do a fresh install using Windows 10 Pro x64, but am unable to. I have an 'oem' copy using the installed dvd player. I use the custom install section, wipe the ssd, use the 'new' function and format the partions created. The installation proceeds normally, but never gives you an option to install the activation keys. When the installation is complete, the system shows "Windows 10 Home" installed and activated. I have been usinc PC's for many years and done many fresh installs without any problem. I realize that this may be an issue with Acer revovery somewhere. The new install that shows "Windows 10 Home" is clean and I can then install any drivers etc...  I even tried the install without an internet connection. Also, the system will not let me activate using the Pro keys.   !!!! HELP !!!!  Any ideas or suggestions? Your help is greatly appreciated. I may have to use Windows 10 Home, which is not a problem. 

Best Answer

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

your installation is correct, since windows 10 reads the product key embedded on BIOS, so since it's an Home key, it install the home version.

by the way, normally you would be able to switch to the PRO version using the correct product key but you need to be connected to the web.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7209-product-key-change-windows-10-a.html

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • jte101

Thanks for the quick reply !!!!

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

Here is what Microsoft says:

To upgrade from Windows 10 Home if you have a Windows 10 product key:
    1. Select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & security > Activation.
    2. Select Change product key, and then enter the 25-character Windows 10 Pro product key.
    3. Select Next to start the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jte101

Thanks for the idea, but I have already tried that. The reply I get, is that the key is an invalid key. The key is from a OEM Windows 10 Pro. I am stumped, but will get along with the home version.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

Are you sure the key isn't a volume license key (like a big corporation or school would use) instead of a OEM key (that a system builder would use)? VL keys are supported for multiple installs but not valid for an upgrade, the licensee is charged per install usually. OEM keys can only be installed once and can't be transfered from one machine to another. That's why you have to jump through hoops if you replace the HD or motherboard. An OEM key ought to work if it hasn't been installed anywhere else already.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jte101

Thanks for the reply. It is a valid OEM key..

• f4
    f4 Member Posts: 1 New User

l need it Windows 10 on my laptop